70% of app price go to developers, 30% to operator?

Last Updated:

1. Mr_N1ce

Mr_N1ce Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi
    since I am currently writing a case study about Google/Android for university, there is one issue thats surprising me: apparently, Google does not keep any of the purchase price. According to this report on CNET the remaining 30% go to the mobile network operator. Can anyone confirm this or even better: has another reliable source?

EDIT: Another source states that Google is keeping the remaining 30%: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/02/google-takes-he/

Advertisement
  2. Mr_N1ce

3. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

How does this compare to other Mobile Operating systems? (Just curious)

4. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

I suspect that google in turn retains all the advertsing revenue attached to the massive quantities of free apps downloaded from the market, as well as any advertising on the market itself. sounds like a decent way of making money doing what you already do well, with little investment on google's part. That plus the developers get a much larger split and what is gearing up to be much broader world wide distribution (eventually), with much fewer restrictions.

Sounds like a win win all around.

5. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Apple takes 30% of their AppStore sales

6. Mr_N1ce

Its pretty much industry standard. As far as I know are Palm, OVI, Apple, Windows all charging 30% commission fee as well. Blackberry had 20% but they changed it to 30 as well recently.

7. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Thats why installing apps outside the market is so important. Imagine if we could only buy programs for Windows only from a microsoft app store? Jesus....