• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

720p/1080p MKV(+DTS/FLAC/AC3) Player for android

inisoft

Lurker
May 27, 2011
SGS or some devices can play mkv well ( not flac audio ).
but many devices are lack of these features.

rock player / mobo player can play mkv. but only sw decoding.
so 720p/1080p movies are not playable.

diceplayer can do hw decoding. ( not all devices.. )

Nexus-S/Desire HD/Incredible S can play MKV/AVI H.264 720p
DualCore SGS2 / HTC Sensation can play 1080p clips.

no need to convert your HD mkvs to mp4.

go android market and search diceplayer.
(there are 3day trial and commercial version )

Interesting player, but I'm afraid it lacks certain basic things.
I'll try to put my impressions in separate points:

* Unable to play MPEG-4 ASP avi files, while they are stated to be supported. Rock/Mobo play these files just fine.
* There is no media info as in other players
* There is no skip forward/backward feature in settings
* The playback information is strongly dependent on the device used and video specs. Those codecs/formats natively supported by Android will use HW decoding. The rest will use SW decoding, which is still fine.
* Trial is only 3 days. This is a bit too short to evaluate an application fully.
* The UI is very primitive. Please look at how well Mobo has made it.

I strongly suggest to improve this player with extra features and make 2 versions of it: one for free and one paid with extra features. As it is now, I'm afraid I still prefer the free Mobo/Vital players..

Reactions: the_metal
Upvote 0
Maybe I am missing something, but aren't virtually all 720p/1080p mkv files going to be too big to be on an android phone? Isn't the max file 2gb for the file system android uses?

The SD cards in Android phones support FAT32 system, which allows file sizes up to 4GB.
The full hd videos can have different sizes, but they are rarely larger than 4GB.
So, you don't have to worry about the file size.

Reactions: evillincoln
Upvote 0
I'm not sure where you get your full HD videos from, but mine (sourced from my own Blu-rays, or saved from DVB-S2 Broadcasts) are invariably much larger than 4GB. In the case of Watchmen it's 38GB!!
If your files are that large, then a sensible approach is to convert them to smaller size files for mobile viewing. You can have the resulting videos smaller than 4GB and with good quality. This addresses also the limited storage issue on the phone.

Upvote 0
I use MX Video Player so maybe you should try that.

MX Video Player says that harware decoding is not available on my Tegra 2 Sony S1......

Also the sound cuts out for mkvs unless I specifically select the prologic track rather than the default dts track. (Although at least it gives the option of selecting audio tracks which most other players do not)

Diceplayer seems to work perfectly

Upvote 0
MX Video Player says that harware decoding is not available on my Tegra 2 Sony S1......

Also the sound cuts out for mkvs unless I specifically select the prologic track rather than the default dts track. (Although at least it gives the option of selecting audio tracks which most other players do not)

Diceplayer seems to work perfectly

Did you download the Codec made for Tegra 2?

Upvote 0
Usta - My point was that industry standard HD videos (e.g. Blu-ray, broadcast HDTV and video camera - all AVCHD files) are invariably much larger than 4GB. YMMV, but I'm assuming that yours have been in some way re-encoded at some point?

I don't intend to re-encode for every device I own. I want to keep my videos in the highest quality that I can and play on them over the network. If I decide I want to travel with a video, I will re-encode to make it smaller, but my main use is in my house, so re-encoding should not be necessary.

I'd just like a player that decodes the streams it can handle in hardware (i.e. h.264 video) and those that it can't in software (i.e. AC3 audio) rather than an all or nothing approach that I seem to see now.

/Craig

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones