720p: "jerky" on Class 10 mSD?Support

Last Updated:

1. yury2808

yury2808 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

Bought Kingston Class 10 micro SD (quite expensive) for my phone and used it on vacations. Found, that the video I've captured in 720p mode is "jerky", i.e. it have delays (stutters?) every 5-10 seconds, like it can't write on card.

Any ideas, why?

Best.

Advertisement
  2. d.knight99

d.knight99 Well-Known Member

I didn't think class 10 was compatible with Desires? Or any standard microSD card slots for that matter. I was under the impression to work at full capacity they needed to run on higher speed busses, but anything up to class 6 will work on all devices?

SD Speed Class - SD Association

Sounds like the class 10 is only running at class 6 speed which still isn't great by all accounts.

3. yury2808

Not sure if I quite catch what you mean, but.. it works. The SD card, I mean. 16GB is fully visible and it is alot faster, than 4GB (class 6) I had before. But when I do video - it gives occasional stutters...

4. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

How much internal memory have you got free, if this is very low that can have an effect on the frame rates of the recordings.

5. d.knight99

Well basically there is the card itself and then the 'bus' lines that connect it to the rest of the device/computer.

The card may be able to handle the higher speeds, but the busses it's connected to can't. It would be like plugging a USB 2.0 device into a 1.1 port, the device would be capable of 480Mbps but the bus it's connected to would only be able to handle a maximum of 12Mbps, so that's how fast it would be able to transfer data.

As far as I know it's the same thing with SD card classes. Anything up to class 6 will work on standard speed busses but for class 10 the device needs to have faster ones. So I would imagine your class 10 card is only running at class 6 speed, which from what I've heard still stutters with 720p recording.

I could be wrong though, that's just what I've read online. I haven't actually had any real world experience with these SD cards.

6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

720P recording on most of the custom roms isn't stuttery. Its the stock roms that have this issue.

7. d.knight99

Oh yeah for sure, that may be true but what I mean is that his class 10 isn't going to offer any performance increase over his old class 6 card because of hardware limitations. The only way to get stutterless 720p would be to go down the custom ROM root as you've suggested.

8. SUroot

Oh no, I know. I wasn't even talking about the class 10. Thing. Just that class 6 is smooth on most of the custom roms so its definitely enough for 720 read/write

9. d.knight99

Yeah see this is what I didn't understand, from looking at the data rates of even class 2 cards they should (theoretically) be able to handle 720p. I know they do have issues, and class 6 is recommended, but even with class 6 the stock ROM has serious issues. Must just be a case of poorly written software...

10. yury2808

> 180 mb

11. adders21

adders21 Well-Known Member

I know this is an old post so I hope you dont mind me resurecting it.

I have the same problem with my Desire. I have a class 6 card but I still get video stutter.

Now I know very little about customising my phone but I'm interested to learn what a 'rom' is and how do i change mine to a custom rom to stop the stutter?

12. SUroot

ROM is the android OS. A custom ROM is one develped by teh development community rather than Google or HTC.

You have to be rooted to use custom roms. Only the froyo 2.2 custom roms do 720p. The 2.3 Gingerbread ones don't yet.

I dont particularly think 720 is that much better anyway. Its a big jump to get 720p working.

I cannot comment on te HTC sense based custom roms as I only ever used AOSP (vanilla - no HTC sense). For example, Defrost 6.1 was a great 2.2 AOSP custom rom and 720p was fine.

There are some links in my signature. read the Rooting FAQ.

adders21 likes this.
  13. togger161

togger161 Well-Known Member

I thought there were Gingerbread ones now supporting 720p video camera - there are some at least claiming to, issue being fixed by SNQ. Am I missing something?

14. SUroot

Probably I am. Which roms?

15. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

The insert coin rom does as does the reflex s rom both have sense 3.0 mods as well

SUroot likes this.
  16. togger161

and StarBurst, RCMix S, SuperNova.

SUroot likes this.
  17. SUroot

Starburst is froyo.

I suppose since HTC sense GB leaked, they got stuff from it. Dont know much about sense roms anyway.

18. togger161

Oh yeah, sorry, I was just searching through some roms for 720p support and got a bit carried away, forgot to check Android version.

19. SUroot

Nevermind, you still taught me something ;)