720p video/3g hot spot and froyo soonGeneral

1. kriskmk

kriskmk Well-Known Member

yes 720p will be offered with the OTA update.. at least thats what the websites say..

Why do you have to the root the phone for Wifi Tether? could you just not have used PDAnet?
  2. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

Somebody over at XDA will take the file out of the OTA, so it will be ready to download most likely within the same day. Plus, they will figure out a way for us to load this OTA without losing root very quickly. Most likely within a day or two.
  3. Vaseline Smith

Vaseline Smith Well-Known Member

I can haz OTA?
  4. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

5. plim

plim Well-Known Member

pdanet does not allow me to tether my ipod touch
  6. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

So your saying its an HTC employees phone?? :D:D:D
  7. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

HEH, someone asked about why the htc was on top, but they deleted there post lol.
  8. kriskmk

That'll be awesome.. but in any case.. I'll do the OTA update when it comes by :)..
  9. kriskmk

If you are looking for WiFi mobile hotspot.. yea PDAnet doesn't do that.
  10. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Thats OK, I just posted the same thing and then looked back 6 posts to see it already answered...:eek:

Whatever the case I am very excited to be getting the new boot animation, its about freaking time!
  11. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

I hear ya GMB!
    I'll actually take anything that shows a little love for the Incredible at this point! ;)
  12. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is still by far my fav. Im not a big fan of the droid eye, mostly because it will be on every droid in the world! heh
  13. GrandMasterB

I know this from having the MotoDroid, it will be OTA. No WIFI required. Sent out in waves specifically for that reason.

How many people don't have access to wifi? I never have until I set up my own wifi this last year and I never ever use it with my Incredible. It is unreasonable to think that every Incredible owner will have access to wifi.
    secretLOVER, euph_22 and Skipdawg like this.
  14. MrSmoofy

MrSmoofy Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that pdanet free version ONLY did HTTP (port 80) and that the paid version ONLY did HTTP and HTTPS (port 80 and 443)

What about all the other ports, if I'm using my computer I'm talking email (25, 110, 587 etc), RDP, telnet, ftp, etc.
  15. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

That's the same case I made on another thread, not all have or even know how to connect to wifi.
    That being said, OTA and wifi seem to conflict to my understanding.
    Doesn't wifi imply downloading from a website?
  16. kriskmk

Updates that are pushed to your phone CANNOT be done thru WiFi.. and also not everybody has WiFi Access...

Unless VZW wants people to manually update their phones by connecting to a computer (like the Ipod) or thru WiFi.. WHICH IS SERIOUSLY DOUBT.. I don't think one would need WiFi to get the OTA update.
  17. Skipdawg

Skipdawg Well-Known Member

Love it. Waiting for the OTA now. Maybe reboot and see if that pulls it in.
  18. kriskmk

All is know is you get free internet using the PDAnet tethering.. I have downloaded more than 2 gigabytes of data .. I have downloaded movies from rapidshare/megaupload.. etc.. I am not sure about opening of specific ports either. My understanding is that it provides you with internet on your computer.. and you can do typically everything you can with an internet connection.
  19. GrandMasterB

Yes. OTA and WIFI will not work in conjunction with each other.
  20. Pretkomel

Pretkomel Well-Known Member

Is this going to delay the froyo release for the DI? I mean, if the hot spot feature is coming in froyo, why are they adding it in this ota? Just wondering.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
  21. kriskmk

it's a no brainer! I am surprised people think VZW can somehow hack into a WiFi network and push it's updates!.. OF COURSE the updates will be pushed ONLY when you are on VZW network... and in case if people don't know.. once you connect to WiFi.. you lose your mobile network (not the phone connectivity, but the internet connectivity).
  22. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Apparently the news came true today! :p