1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

720p video/3g hot spot and froyo soon

1. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

If you would have read the original post re the 720p hotspot
    the poster said he has to use wifi to dl.
    now it's on BGR, endgadget and others about an OTA update
  2. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

+1 (well 2/3's) It's a phone, and I want it to phone well. So any improvement in the first to will be greatly appreciated. (signal bar accuracy, I don't care about. If I can just check the signal strength if I need to.)
  3. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

This has gone pretty far, yet am I the only one to take notice of...

Yes, it came OTA on June 28th, if I remember correctly it was about 22.5 MB and required a WIFI connection to do the update.

Sample to come. (Busy at work)

so it was not OTA
  4. kevinbakon

kevinbakon Well-Known Member

+1, wondering the same exact thing myself . . .
  5. Liquoredolce

Liquoredolce Well-Known Member

Doesn't OTA just mean over the air? If he didn't have to plug it in (the way Iphones do for updates), I'd consider that OTA.
  6. edbro

edbro Well-Known Member

There's not??? Crap, no wonder I've been so disappointed in the Dinc's screen, I've had this thing backwards all this time. That also explains why all my photos look like a big nose.
  7. kriskmk

kriskmk Well-Known Member

Someone said.. "Apparently it's a huge update and you will need to be on wifi to receive it. "

I am not questioning the OTA update.. I am saying that an OTA update will NOT require a WiFi, but will be done ONLY thru the mobile network.
  8. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

Forget the video recording.... I want the Amazon MP3 store Icon I see in the photo.
  9. bostontom

bostontom Member

Wow, I'm really surprised Verizon is letting this happen. That 720p video recording is a major selling point of the Droid X. I think this pushes the Incredible even further ahead of the X.
  10. Excedio

Excedio Well-Known Member

Yes. But more specifically it means over the VZW network. OTA and WiFi are different.
  11. skier10

skier10 Active Member

So does that mean if we're on WiFi we should switch it off and be on 3G for the next week to make sure we get the update as soon as it's pushed to our phones?
  12. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

Not really. The EVO 4G 720p recording is crap. If that is any indication, the INC won't be any better. The videos I've seen from the Droid X are much better.
    Also, the Droid X has HDMI and a wide variety of codec support. It plays divx out of the box.
  13. Cus verizon charges up the butt for it. why wait any longer and miss out on a money-making opportunity? its not gonna delay froyo.

And i dont see the problem with not liking the term "droid" being a part of the name in all of verizon's android phones. i personally dont like it myself either. doesnt matter about how "logically they are all android phones therefore they are all droids." the term is just stupid. if its an android phone, call it an android. the moto droid is the droid. the droid eris was released alongside it so they gave it droid, understandable. but incredible was being leaked and released as just Incredible til about 8 days before release, then everyone saw Verizon running up behind it with a nametag with "droid" on it saying "hold on, no ones gonna know what you are unless we add this onto you! plus we make more money." I dont like having something thats associated with everyone elses something. especially when they ask "what phone is that?", i have to say "droid incredible", then they say "oh you mean its like mine?" and they pull a big damn brick out of their pocket. i want no association with that.
  14. Excedio

Not necessarily. I would wait for people to start freaking out here in the forums because they got the update. Then turn WiFi off and check to see if you get the update.

If you do it will be obvious.
  15. kriskmk

The droid X HDMI out is a teaser.. and from what I read.. does NOT offer what it is supposed to.
  16. somohapian

somohapian Well-Known Member

It's the same reason you can't get visual voicemail with wifi on.
  17. Excedio

This might be right...no clue really. However, I know they are spending more money by calling it a "Droid."

Why? They license out that name to Lucasfilms.

Here's a thought...maybe George Lucas called Verizon and was like..."You know what would be really cool?! Call all your phone's DROIDS! (So I can rake in the cash...SUCKERS!!)
  18. Excedio

You can if you're using Google Voice for Visual Voicemail. ;)
  19. kriskmk

20. kriskmk

21. gorenut

gorenut Well-Known Member

Which I applaud HTC for doing. I'm glad they're still finding ways to unlock the phone's potential. All speculation ofcourse, but this almost seems like a great way to keep people interested in the Incredible and not jumping ships because their phone is still in back order. This good news for Incredibles couldn't have come at a better time. Anyone else agree? It was already regarded a great phone before the update, but WITH the update, its even better.
  22. kriskmk

23. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

This isn't exactly something new. In the past, the GPS would be locked down. Then as the heat behind a phone died down, they'd unlock the GPS to get more people to buy that phone vs the new phones that, too, will have their GPS locked down...

Fortunately a class-action lawsuit ended that practice...

So now it will probably be wifi-N I would imagine, or 4G chips or something.. Until another class-action lawsuit...
  24. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it will kill the silly rumors about Verizon dropping it....
  25. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

We are another nm fabrication level away from phone form-factors outputting 720p with adequate bitrates and framerates. Snapdragon and 3630 are not up to the task.

At a minimum, a dedicated 45nm video chip away.