720p Video in mp4 format works!

Last Updated:

1. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Encoding a video to the following specs and loading it on the EVO plays with the included video player perfectly. No jumping and clear, in sync sound. 720p resolution so the HDMI out should work once the cables are available.

h.264 at Level 3.1, 3 reference frames and baseline profile. 1280 x 720
    AAC stereo audio at 44100Hz, 128kbps

Bit rate does not seem to be all that important as long as the video file is less than 2GB.

Muxed to an mp4 container in IMSA standard format and optimized for streaming.

WOOT!

Advertisement
  2. RagingSamster

RagingSamster Well-Known Member

I use handbrake and scale my 720p content down to 808X434 and it plays on the EVO perfectly - filesize is roughly 1.2GB for a feature length HD rip (down from 6.8gb)

3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

They are available. Ebay or Dealextreme has them, as well as sprint stores.

4. jcthorne

The point was the ability for EVO to play FULL RESOLUTION 720p h.264 video without skips, pixelization or sync issues.

5. jcthorne

Called 5 sprint stores, none had gotten any. Dealextream only had it in stock in hong kong - 2 weeks via air mail. Amazon lists it for $6 but its out of stock. Bought it from a ebay seller that claims to have stock in Texas and ship next day for $14. They do seem to be in short supply but likely to flood the market in the next few weeks.

6. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

But unless your playing the videos back on an external device, it doesn't matter anyway. It just gets scaled down to the screen size, and that puts extra burden on the CPU.

7. johnstevedoe

johnstevedoe Member

Could you be so kind and post the preset you use for that? I scaled my videos down from 720p with the iPhone preset and the file ended up being bigger than the original :/

8. jcthorne

Because I will rarely watch a feature movie on a 4.3" screen. I will however plug EVO into the tv in my hotel room and watch High Def movies for free rather than $12 for crap the hotel sells. Now when I travel, I have movies and shows I want to watch. Usually transfered from my Tivo the day I leave. Been doing similar with my laptop but this is SO much more convienient. And I CAN watch the same material on the plane if enroute if I choose.

Now, were are those 64GB microSDHC cards?

9. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Then you used too high of a bitrate. I've found around 1000-1500, blocking is barely noticeable. If you want a great picture, go around 2500-3000.

10. Demache

You get HDTVs in your hotel room?! What kind of hotels do you go to! I find it rare to get a TV with composite in!

And 64GB cards aren't coming for quite some time. I read 32GB ones didn't come out until recently. And have maxed out the SDHC standard. So the EVO won't be able to use a 64GB card.

Sent from an HTC Eris

11. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

ddanny82 likes this.
  12. jcthorne

Flat panel TVs are pretty common in Marriotts. Most have user connections for things like laptops or ipods. Should have no trouble connecting the EVO.

64GB SDHC cards already exist. Just not microSDHC. And yes, 32GB microSDHC are not even mainstream yet. I was pushing things just a bit. Will likely pick up a 32GB card when they become readily available through normal discount retail channels.

13. Demache

Ah, that would explain it. We just go to cheap hotels like Super 8's.