1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

720T ROMs

1. jackroo

jackroo Well-Known Member

Hi, just got my Sprint S4 L20T version rooted by a friend an hour ago and have been looking for ROMs for this specific model. I'm afraid to try the regular 720 ROMs listed on the topic because I don't want them to mess anything up. Are they safe to flash on my specific model?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

1) Why root the stock ROM if you're going to replace it?

2) All ROMs made for your phone are as safe as all other ROMs made for your phone - if the dev is good the ROM will work. If the dev is bad it might cause you some problems, amd it might even brick your phone. So if you can't read the forums and reviews and figure out which devs know what they're doing, and you're not prepared to restore the stock ROM, don't fool around with flashing ROMs.
  3. jackroo

Is there a reason you are even on this forum besides to cut people down? All I am interested in was a freaking custom ROM for my phone since it's a newer model. I looked all over XDA and other reputable Android sites. You don't have to talk down to people on here
    Slayer72 likes this.
  4. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

absolute worst case is you lose triband function. so if you are in a sprint spark area you may lose that and have just regular LTE but unfortunately i dont know off hand.

Reading around tells me that the aosp roms work fine just dont show spark as working (but it is if you have it in your area) stock may or may not, dunno. i would highly suggest doing a backup of your rom after flashing the jflte recovery though :)
    DaisFlaque and jackroo like this.
  5. jackroo

Thank you Shabby Penguin. That is the main answer I'm looking for: it's OK to flash regular 720 ROMs. I'm not in a Spark area (although it shows) and I get regular 4G speeds. Again, thanks for the help. I'll make sure to do a nand of course too.
    Slayer72 likes this.
  6. DaisFlaque

DaisFlaque Guides Guide

:(... uhhhh.... ummmmmmm... im an idiot.. i forgot to do my backup... :( i was so used to just flashing away with my s3... I got careless.. any help? I am running aosp c-rom with kt747 and TWRP 2.7.0.1 all for my new l720t of course..

Problem is.. i have no stock to go back to.. maybe kies? Anyone?
  7. jackroo

Isn't there a stock rooted download? I am running Carbon ROM and I also have the 720T. I am looking for a stock rooted download. I'll keep my eyes out for ya. And no, you're not an idiot my friend. It happens. I remember doing that with my S3.
    DaisFlaque likes this.
  8. DaisFlaque

DaisFlaque Guides Guide

Not for the t variant as far as i know.
  9. DaisFlaque

DaisFlaque Guides Guide

My s4 cant text or surf web while in call. So i called sprint and found out the problem is their new spark feature. The upgrade to their 4g is downgrading the s4 and s5's capabilities. So here's my thing.. i asked if it was theoretically possible to switch to the old 4g network.. and he said "blah blah.. baseband... blah blah blah." Sooooo... here i sit with a l720. Baseband... wanting to flash... yet understanding the danger...
  10. jackroo

I'd go ahead and flash. My 720T showed Spark but I didn't get close to breakneck speeds. I'm fine with the 4G I'm currently getting. It downloads all I need without the need for WiFi. I know it's difficult (I learned from my beginning flash mistakes) but you may just have to hang out with an AOSP ROM until we get a stock root 720T download. I wish they didn't keep coming up with all these variants like T, S4 this edition and that edition etc but I guess it is what it is :\

Keep us informed though bro :) you'll be fine I'm sure
    DaisFlaque likes this.
  11. jackroo

Wait...so what does that rep mean? Does the "old 4G" network I'm currently on expire at some point and render our devices useless?
  12. DaisFlaque

DaisFlaque Guides Guide

Lol not at all bro.. he simply said till they can roll out the entire Spark program the sms/data while in call may be limited. So my idea was to flash an old l720 (non-triband) baseband to my L720t. And see if I can get my sms, mms and web browsing/data back... I can't get on maps while i'm talking trying to help my gf find her bus.. I can't even type this if someone calls me. :( complete loss of data. While in call it even says: Carrier: unknown. But as soon as I hop off the call.. it says Sprint again.
    jackroo likes this.
  13. tattoowood13

tattoowood13 Member

Where can I get the recovery? I need it to be a tar so I can Odin it
  14. DaisFlaque

DaisFlaque Guides Guide

look and read please. I myself have posted a tutorial on this exact thing. just look in main s4 thread ;)