8 hr. charge before 1st use???Support

Last Updated:

1. Liz0311

Liz0311 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, I admit it. I can't take it.

8 hours?!

Why is my little status light already green? It's only been 2 hours out of the box, & I have been good & not turned it on...but the light is green! Why is it taunting me?!

Really, though...do I have to wait?

Advertisement
  2. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

There are alot of people in these forums that are very anal about battery use. I am one of those people usually but I couldn't stand the wait and started using it shortly after it turned green....

3. Liz0311

I think I am going to attempt to exercise some self-restraint... Luckily I have been working OT every day this week & I am dead tired...I will take advantage of this & hop out of bed earlier than anyone should on a Saturday to run that fully charged battery into the ground. :p

4. GrandMasterB

Great if you can pull it off. I got $10 says you toss and turn for 1 hour before finally getting up to play with it.

Anybody else want in on this? ;)

5. Liz0311

If I do, you'll know it...I'll be on here flipping out about how much I LOVE it. ;)

6. thevainone

thevainone Member

i did 8hours.....hopefully it pays off in the long run..

7. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

No idea if it has anything to do with it, but I left my phone on the charger for about 8 hours its first charge (although the phone was turned on), and my battery life seems far better than most people around here. For example, after pretty moderate to heavy usage, I just plugged it in after 23 hours and that was a "bad" charge for me. I usually get closer to 28-36 hours between charges.

I also let it die out the next time or two after the 1st charge before charging it up again.

My battery life definitely got longer after a few cycles. That could be a result of me learning more about Android though, and customizing certain things that decrease battery life unnecessarily. And I never have nor ever will use a task killer.

EDIT: FWIW, I never charge the phone for much more than 30 mins after the light turns green. My phone fully charges in 1.5-2 hours, tops. I just gave it the extra charge the first time or two.

8. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

I just charged it til green and started using it immediately. Took about 2 hours I believe.

9. Mitch R.

Mitch R. Well-Known Member

I pulled mine out of the box, turned it on and activated it. Charged it after activation. There's no reason you need to charge for 8 hrs. prior to initial use. Charge it until the green light comes on and go. I've had better results charging while the phone is powered off, seems to get a fuller charge,

10. Echo17121

Echo17121 Well-Known Member

I got the EVO battery the other day and popped it into my phone right before I went to bed for the night. Luckily I have had the phone for a month so I don't have the itching desire to play with it constantly lol. I think the charging while off did a world of good. I was shocked to see I still had a full battery about five hours into my work day the next day!

11. Liz0311

Well...I made it. ;)

And I have been playing with it ever since. I love it!

12. GrandMasterB

:eek:NoWay:eek:

13. mach1man

mach1man Well-Known Member

I'm getting a new battery for my phone and I was wondering should I charge it first or run it down till it says to recharge? It's gonna be a 1500mah battery, I'm assuming it will be halfway charged when I get it. I'm just trying to get better battery life.

14. GrandMasterB

You should be fully charging it to 100% before first use to calibrate the state-of-charge reading. Battery University says,

15. nickreich

nickreich Well-Known Member

I will probably fire my Incredible up right out of the box, drain, and then charge.

16. OMRebel2013

OMRebel2013 Active Member

Is that bad for the battery, or does it do the same thing?

I should be getting mine monday morning before i go on vacation and would like to use it in the car. Also, is plugging it into a car outlet bad for the battery, or does it matter?

17. nickreich

nickreich Well-Known Member

Honestly. With all my devices, phones, iPods, whatever. I turn it on and start using right away, half the time the first charge doesn't go the whole way. Sometimes I don't drain it right away and go for a full recharge. I have "bad" battery habits but all my devices has perfect battery life.

My blackberry storm which I used for a whole day with half a battery out of the box didn't get a charge that first day and it will get me through a whole day of heavy usage.

My iPod which I bought 2 years ago and unboxed and immediately plugged into the computer and loaded music which took about 20 minutes, took it off and used it for 3 days before giving it a charge and it will play music for 20 hours straight today (advertised playback time.)

The only thing I believe matters is that when you DO charge it, make sure you go all the way to full. Because the batteries apparently can only handle so many charge cycles.

18. Brian_83

Brian_83 Well-Known Member

Guys it really doesn't matter. A charge is a charge and it doesn't matter when you do it. I always activate my phone and start using it and then charge it that night or when it dies. I've never charged one first and sure as heck not for 8 hours. Once it's charged it's charged. If it's green it's not going to get anymore charged in the next 6 hours than it already is.