1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

$800 Retail for a phone?General

1. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Seriously!!!

I'm sorry, I love my gadgets just as much as the next guy (or gal)...

But $800...be it at Best Buy, Radio Shack or VZW...is just INSANE!!!

These companies are taking full advantage at this point, and I think this is just about overboard...

$599...Fine
    $649...Doable
    $800...Rape!!!

There has to be a point when enough is enough!

Advertisement
  2. Travisimo

Travisimo Well-Known Member

It should be cheaper at VZW stores, right? Do we have a full retail price from Verizon yet?
  3. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Lol...we don't even have a concrete date from them...let alone a price!

I can't imagine it being any more then what the Razr is going for at a vzw corp store..$649

On what grounds...it doesn't have mind blowing specs or anything revolutionary for the exception of ICS!

Vzw would have to be extremely high on something to go with Best buy or the shacks price.
  4. Skittlez

Skittlez Well-Known Member

VZW did confirm a date, and the best buy price is way higher than VZW all the time
  5. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

Frisco likes this.
  6. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Well-Known Member

You must understand that $800 is not a lot of money to some people.
  7. thenew3

thenew3 Well-Known Member

I would love to be one of those people.

For some, $800 is a months rent, or a good portion of their income.
  8. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Isn't the 800$ price from Radio Shack?

the ALWAYS way overcharge for stuff like that if they think they can get away with it.
  9. FragDroidX

FragDroidX Well-Known Member

Verizon has NOT confirmed a release date. People are assuming confirmed based on a screenshot someone sent Droid Life.
    trophynuts, Frisco and Gravytrain like this.
  10. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Could you link Verizon's release date statement?

All I can find is an "equipment guide" screen shoot leak.
  11. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

there have been multiple leaks, screenies at this point, but your correct nothing "official" (externally anyway)
  12. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Yeah, the news media jumped all over that screen shot stuff. I was thinking that perhaps Verizon allowed it "leaked" as a way of trying to pinch off some of the constant flow of complaints/queries coming to their support lines for info on the actual date.
  13. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Oh they did confirm a date? I must have missed that. Was it confirmed here, or on Super Earth? Lmaooo...
    Gravytrain likes this.
  14. ccg07

ccg07 Member

Resellers like Best Buy and Radio Shack would prefer to sell a contract with the phone because then they get an extra commission from Verizon. They don't make much money selling a non-contract phone at the normal Verizon non-contract price.
  15. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Lol...I understand that 100%

However Greg, you remember me from BB Forums...I go through phones like underwear, and its not the $ that's the problem, its the principal!

5ish or 6ish hundred dollars is more along the lines for a phone that is built to run on American air waves that hasn't been imported. But $800 is reaching laptop ,tablet territory!

And if the phone had serious mind blowing specs I'd say...Well then it is what it is....but the specs are not earth shattering at all really! IDK...just seems like companies are lining up to rape the customer these days....just my 2 cents.
  16. Gravytrain

Gravytrain Well-Known Member

And these are some of the reasons why I have no problem at all doing things like "rent a rezound".. They're raping us on phone prices... So I'll get them at every opportunity I can.

Nb4ethics.. Blah.. Blah.. Blah.
  17. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

They take an inch with me, I run for a return kick touch down....lol

These days I have no mercy on these companies!
    Gravytrain likes this.
  18. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Well-Known Member

So I made another call to VerizonWireless Customer Care today...
    Explained that I called just the other day interested in preorder and launch date; and that I was informed Dec 8th WAS launch...
    Gentleman revealed that there was an update made to the internal system regarding the G Nex on 12/6. (Yes yesterday)

The update removed the original "internal" release date this week.
    He said the system wouldnt allow him to preorder or order for that matter when he attempted to.
    He DID however reveal two things.

GALAXY NEXUS
    2 Year Contract Price: $299
    Full Retail Price of: $649

I asked him to RE-confirm the prices with his manager,
    VZW manager indeed confirm with me ^^ those prices.

Just sharing my experience I had this evening on/phone with Customer Care.
    Sandroidfan likes this.
  19. Ed5275

Ed5275 Well-Known Member

I can't believe the window between "doable" and "rape" is only $150.
    greggebhardt likes this.
  20. seetohey

seetohey New Member

lol
  21. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

800 is just pricing for imported GSM nexus at some stores. It includes cost of shipping and tariff. Nothing to freak out. Verizon nexus would be more in line with Razr pricing.
  22. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Well-Known Member

Yes, $649 VZW G NEX Full Retail when purchased at or thru Verizon.
    Not a Best Buy or somewhere else folks.
    This price goes up when you shop somewhere other than Verizon.
  23. dmiller2007

dmiller2007 Well-Known Member

Is this more of a complaint geared towards the nexus or radio shack and best buy? I agree 100% that is way too much for a phone. Can't believe they charge it for a RAZR too. Seems that is the price point for Verizon 4G.
  24. someguy43210

someguy43210 Well-Known Member

Watch the first quadcore phone is going to be $999.
  25. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Well-Known Member

Yep, I remember, looks like both of us are converted X-RIM users.

For me there is nothing more important than getting a new device as fast as I can get my hands on it. I have paid way over $1200 for a phone, you can not take it with you!:p