8gb card only formating to 3.7gb

Last Updated:

1. davey_b

davey_b Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've got an 8gb card that I copied files onto but they seem to have become corrupt so I formatted the card but its only giving me 3.7gb

Advertisement
  2. chaz_uk

chaz_uk Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like you may have a fake Micro SD card. 3.7GB is what would be available after formatting a 4GB card.

Was the data corrupt at the beginning or did it corrupt as you filled it up more? Where did you buy the card out of interest?

Here is a guide on how to test a fake card: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1023&message=19506964

3. davey_b

Think you might be right, its branded as Kingston and I got it from ebuyer.com.

I'll give them a call.

Thanks

4. Drazil

Drazil Well-Known Member

Are you using the phone or your computer to format? If you're not formatting using the phone, make sure you're not using FAT16 filesystem.

5. davey_b

6. davey_b

That might be an issue. I formatted it on my computer and the only option I had was FAT32. Is there another way I can do it?

7. Drazil

Drazil Well-Known Member

If you tried on your computer using FAT32 it should have gone the full 8GB. Have you tried putting it in your phone then going to Settings > SD Card > Format SD Card (you might have to unmount it first if the format option is greyed out).

If that still doesn't work, then Chaz is probably right and you got a fake 8GB and they put some utility on the card to make your computer think it was 8GB, which might explain the corrupt data and why it formats to only 3.7GB.

8. davey_b

Yeah, done all that. Formated it on the phone as well and got 3.7gb. Called ebuyer and I'm going to send it back to them.

Thanks guys.

Dave