• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories 8gb MicroSDHC < $20

Realistically, how noticeable is the speed difference? I have an 8gb Class4 right now, and a 16gb Class2 on the way. Realworld performance, is the difference that big?

200mb per 1 second (class 2)

400mb per second (class 4)

1G of a Movie Fomat = [SIZE=-1]1024

Class Transfer Rate

1024/200=5.12
(2) = [/SIZE]
5:12

1024/400=2.56
(4)=2:56

Class 4 is faster

right? I could be very wrong

{also if your sync from computer to G1 via USB, or computer to SD Adaptor...
that SD Adaptor is relatively faster than using via USB >Possibly?<}

Upvote 0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SD_Speed_Class_Ratings

SDHC cards have SD Speed Class Ratings defined by the SD Association. The SD Speed Class Ratings specify the following minimum write speeds based on "the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied":

• Class 2: 2 MB/s
  • Class 4: 4 MB/s
  • Class 6: 6 MB/s

Edit: and I paid $20.07 after tax + shipping, but I like ordering from an established site like newegg :)

Upvote 0
Thanks but does this mean that coping information to the card is faster and or the use of the card like using things written to the card is faster like loading music files. I would assume that 4mb would be faster then 2mb???

I am just trying to see where the price point/function is since I still need to order some cards and have been holding out for good 8gb card since I know the price is coming down and the 16gb cards for me are just not worth it at this point unless they really come down in price.

Larry

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks but does this mean that coping information to the card is faster and or the use of the card like using things written to the card is faster like loading music files. I would assume that 4mb would be faster then 2mb???

I am just trying to see where the price point/function is since I still need to order some cards and have been holding out for good 8gb card since I know the price is coming down and the 16gb cards for me are just not worth it at this point unless they really come down in price.

Larry

The speed will only really matter when you load your music files on to the card the first time, after that the phone really won't need to read then fast enough to cause any problems if you get a slower card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones