• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

8pen Keyboard - Revolution or Fail?

mdizzle99

Android Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2010
So this is not a review or me asking what keyboard you use in general, this is simply a heads up about a new keyboard (that I haven't seen mentioned here yet) called 8pen.

What do you think about it in terms of using it on the Evo? It obviously has a big learning curve, but once learned, think it could ever be your go-to keyboard?

Here is a link to an explanation of it if you haven't heard of it yet. I recommend giving it a try (at least for a day since it costs $1.50 or so).

8pen

It is available in the market.

FAILBOAT!

Their point in the video about "if they keyboard was invented specifically for the mobile phone this is what it would look like" is stupid. It was already invented and we all know how to use it as is. Why in the world do I want to learn a completely new keyboard configuration and waste all those touch typing classes I took in grade school?

Reactions: Evoixmrftw
Upvote 0
FAILBOAT!

Their point in the video about "if they keyboard was invented specifically for the mobile phone this is what it would look like" is stupid. It was already invented and we all know how to use it as is. Why in the world do I want to learn a completely new keyboard configuration and waste all those touch typing classes I took in grade school?

Because the potential is there for something to exist that is more efficient and intuitive than the "old" way? That is such flawed logic to think that just because you already learned one way, you should be resistant to changing to something that is potentially better.

I can see this having some potential, but I'm not sure. I like that once you have become familiar with the key layout, you could easily type without ever looking at it, since all words start from center. ShapeWriter/Swype is close, but you still have to peek at the starting letter at the very least.

The problem they are going to have is that no-one will make themselves familiar with this keyboard in 24 hours, so I don't see them selling very many downloads at all. They need to offer a free trial for an extended period of time if they want to have any chance at getting people hooked.

Upvote 0
The problem they are going to have is that no-one will make themselves familiar with this keyboard in 24 hours, so I don't see them selling very many downloads at all. They need to offer a free trial for an extended period of time if they want to have any chance at getting people hooked.

Agreed. I think their marketing plan is a bit off and may even cause it to fail. They definitely need a week long trial (or something similar), because, this is not only a product that must be used to be understood, but it must be used for a considerable amount of time to get past the learning curve before it would truly be accepted.

I downloaded it, though, and will keep it. It is almost a challenge to get proficient at it - a game. However, I have a hard time believing it would ever rival swype in speed. In 8pen you are swiping to get one letter whereas in swype you are swiping to get a whole word. We'll see though. Like I said, I'll give it a shot until I get good enough to really compare it.

Upvote 0
There were attempts like this on the Palm, back in the days when Graffiti was the input method of choice. I'm fuzzy on the details now, but there was something about swiping around the screen that claimed to be quicker and easier, but required learning yet another input method. It never caught on.

This also brings to mind Dvorak keyboards. Despite claims by aficionados that it's so much faster and more ergonomic, very few people are willing to relearn to type after learning Qwerty. And even if you install a Dvorak keyboard and learn it on your own computer, you'll have to type Qwerty if you ever go anywhere else. The Qwerty standard is at this point near impossible to beat. Even on a different sort of device, thumb typing or swyping Qwerty on a screen seems familiar enough that I don't see many folks learning something completely new and different.

Upvote 0
I remember learning how to type on an Apple ][e. The skills I picked up are still useful today.

I remember learning how to type with a Palm Pilot V stylus. The skills I picked up are not useful today.

This 8pen thing looks like it has potential. The classic keyboard was optimized for all 10 fingers. This thing looks like it's optimized for the single finger.

Given that I've been typing since 1985, and my WPM is still increasing, I'd imagine that any new method of typing will require a lot of practice (years), so if I decide to dedicate myself to a new method, I'd want to be damn sure that it becomes a STANDARD.

Upvote 0
Because the potential is there for something to exist that is more efficient and intuitive than the "old" way? That is such flawed logic to think that just because you already learned one way, you should be resistant to changing to something that is potentially better.

I can see this having some potential, but I'm not sure. I like that once you have become familiar with the key layout, you could easily type without ever looking at it, since all words start from center. ShapeWriter/Swype is close, but you still have to peek at the starting letter at the very least.

Good points...

Upvote 0
I've said this on other outlets about this 8pen keyboard, but I'll say it again.

People need to think about what they're saying when the complain about an app costing money. This keyboard is so inexpensive, at (I think) $1.56, that it's not even a thought for most people. If you say you need more time to decide whether or not it's a good option, just spend 6 quarters and try it out for longer.

When you think that most phones will cost over $3000 including the 2-year contract, $1.56 doesn't seem like too much to get used to what might be a very useful keyboard.

That said, I prefer Swype.

Upvote 0
It only took me 5 hours to type this post with 8pen. I r satasfied customer!

Still laughing at this :D

Seriously though, 8Pen has a decently prepared introduction video, but the whole app is completely impractical. It's almost a novelty keyboard if you could actually get good with it. For a brief moment I was actually getting the hang of it but still was typing much slower than just pecking a standard, non-frustrating keyboard.

Reactions: Evoixmrftw
Upvote 0
I've said this on other outlets about this 8pen keyboard, but I'll say it again.

People need to think about what they're saying when the complain about an app costing money. This keyboard is so inexpensive, at (I think) $1.56, that it's not even a thought for most people. If you say you need more time to decide whether or not it's a good option, just spend 6 quarters and try it out for longer.

When you think that most phones will cost over $3000 including the 2-year contract, $1.56 doesn't seem like too much to get used to what might be a very useful keyboard.

That said, I prefer Swype.

I have a hilarious joke that will revolutionize the way you laugh at anything humorous. I am only charging $1.56 to experience this joke. Please send me your inconsequential $1.56 and I will let you hear it. It is only 6 quarters which is nothing compared to the time and money you will spend over the next 2 years NOT hearing this joke. PM for PayPal information.

If you bought every cheap app that you had a passing interest in, you'd be in for a whole lot more than $1.56. Please try a more logical argument.

~Reason

Reactions: dougrb
Upvote 0
I have a hilarious joke that will revolutionize the way you laugh at anything humorous. I am only charging $1.56 to experience this joke. Please send me your inconsequential $1.56 and I will let you hear it. It is only 6 quarters which is nothing compared to the time and money you will spend over the next 2 years NOT hearing this joke. PM for PayPal information.

If you bought every cheap app that you had a passing interest in, you'd be in for a whole lot more than $1.56. Please try a more logical argument.

~Reason
I'm not saying that it applies to everything. However, if you seriously think that 8pen might be a worthwhile exercise, even if it turns out not to be the case, $1.56 isn't a very consequential amount.

Also, it adds functionality to a device that you are already putting thousands into for a small fraction of that.

I'm not saying it's the option for everyone, but 24 hours should be enough time to decide if you want to risk the $1.56.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying that it applies to everything. However, if you seriously think that 8pen might be a worthwhile exercise, even if it turns out not to be the case, $1.56 isn't a very consequential amount.

Also, it adds functionality to a device that you are already putting thousands into for a small fraction of that.

I'm not saying it's the option for everyone, but 24 hours should be enough time to decide if you want to risk the $1.56.

That is the point. 24 hours, when learning a COMPLETELY new way of text input, is only enough time to piss you off. 1 week, perhaps, is enough time to start your way up the learning curve. Other apps have done this and there is no reason that they couldn't do the same. Why spend money to teach yourself to use a keyboard that no-one else uses, when I could improve my typing on a free keyboard?

Upvote 0
Seriously though, 8Pen has a decently prepared introduction video, but the whole app is completely impractical. It's almost a novelty keyboard if you could actually get good with it. For a brief moment I was actually getting the hang of it but still was typing much slower than just pecking a standard, non-frustrating keyboard.

Same for me. The learning curve isnt actually that bad. Its just sooooooo slow. ( btw this post only took about an hour, so I think I am getting better!)

I have a hilarious joke that will revolutionize the way you laugh at anything humorous. I am only charging $1.56 to experience this joke. Please send me yourconsequential $1.56 and I will let you hear it. It is only 6 quarters which is nothing compared to the time and money you will spend over the next 2 years NOT hearing this joke. PM for PayPal information.

~Reason

WTF how long have you had this? Dude I am in. IN. What else you need? Social? Credit card? Bank account? I am totally ready to relearn how to laugh! :D

Upvote 0
I can see a use for it. If you mastered the gestures and the letters, you can actually type without even looking, sort of like some people I know texting using the num pad of the old nokia telephones. they don't even have to look which amazed me. But the learning curve is steep, I agree that this needs a trial period. I won't buy it simply because Swype is much faster if you're looking. But when you're walking, or what not, this can be a very good way of typing once mastered, that is. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones