9/30 - New Maintanence Sprint UPDATE!! DI18!!

Last Updated:

1. kristv

kristv Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Taken from the official Sprint thread here:

Samsung Epic:3G Upload Capped?

"Good news - an update will be released tomorrow 9/30. It will be rolled out over a 4 day period so not everyone will get it on day 1.

I will have the standard MR information (fixes included, rollout schedule, etc) available tomorrow morning and will post it in a new featured thread."

AWESOME! :)

Advertisement
  2. duratime

duratime Well-Known Member

Hopefully it will also fix the battery issues that the last update caused.

3. hydralisk

hydralisk Well-Known Member

I trust that it will get fixed and I'm in no hurry. I'd like a radio update so we get speeds similar to the EVO. Guess we can wait and see :)

4. Gremlyn1

Gremlyn1 Well-Known Member

5. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

Right when the 30 days are up, nice!

6. Pitbull329

Pitbull329 Well-Known Member

Good to see them taking action on this issue. Hopefully the support continues...

7. MisterDisney

MisterDisney Well-Known Member

30 days is if you just upgraded the hardware from an existing account right? Pretty sure I was told I had 90 days...

8. bdforte69

bdforte69 Well-Known Member

Two updates in 'around' 30 days. I would say this is terrific news for all us EPIC owners! I was one of the few who defended Samsung from the start on forums such as this one. I believed that unlike past mobile devices, they would support the Galaxy S line because of the vast number of worldwide units going out.

Keep up the good work Sammy! I am very pleased thus far.

9. Aero1

Aero1 Well-Known Member

Without prejudice to your optimism, which I am not for or against, there was an unprecedented and huge outcry and despite users reported this since a coupe of days after launch, until a couple of days ago they were told they were the first ones to report it.

I personally attribute a fix to the fact that this massive testing botch and severe bug made it to the front page of some serious websites (eg slashdot) and several professional reviews were amended to show this huge issue after massive user complaints and user correspondence with the press and Sprint.

I also don't think you can underestimate the fact that Sprint was exposed to a massive class action liability, not just on the handsets, but on fees -- meaning the liability increased each day.

The users lit the fire under the kiesters of Sprint and Samsung -- so I personally congratulate the users who did the testing and and despite being told by Srint they were the only ones, blasted their forums and tech sites, for getting this fixed.

afowdy1003 and fiyah like this.
  10. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

11. Aero1

Aero1 Well-Known Member

nice, probly rolled out early for broad beta to some ambassador/advocates like the last update (whidh they got 10 days earlier than us)

12. Bperry

Bperry Well-Known Member

Good to see

13. mojomojo

mojomojo Well-Known Member

Anyone gotten it yet?
    Please post your new upload speed.

9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release

Fixes:
    WiFi standby battery drain
    Amazon MP3 cannot download in 4G
    Large emails lag in upload speeds
    Increased 3G upload speeds

14. kristv

I've seen reports of folks getting better upload speeds without installing any update today. Sounds kinda fishy to me....as if Sprint has been throttling the speed from the network side of things rather than it being an issue with the Epic. This would jive with other posts I've seen about other aspects of this issue and what one fellow on the official Sprint forum said about his conversation with Samsung tech support (they claimed it was NOT an issue they were working on and was a SPRINT issue!). Interesting....

Here's the post from AndroidCentral:

3G Upload Speeds Uncapped W/O update? - Android Forums

15. DILands

DILands Well-Known Member Contributor

Really? I THOUGHT that it was 30 days - regardless?

16. vlad_d

vlad_d Member

I am still getting uploads between 130-140. After looking at that link though, I noticed people complaining about the lag during upload and I just tried using the phone while doing a speedtest.net test and its laggy as hell during upload.

17. kristv

Well, my thoughts on this are that they won't uncap everyone at the same time. It would make it too obvious that they were intentionally capping the speed at the network level. Instead, they can roll out a "fix" (that is likely a placebo and only fixes a couple of minor things), while uncapping folks in the background at the network level and claiming that the OTA fix they sent out is what solved the problem.

Maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions but if this is true, it would be pretty deceptive of Sprint. They would be basically escaping blame for the (possible) fact that they have been lying to Epic owners from the start.

18. duratime

19. Flaspeneer

Flaspeneer Well-Known Member

Are you reading the same log I am? The upload cap fix is under the zombie wifi scan fix and the Amazon 4G fix. Its position on the list might mean that Sprint doesn't want to alert users who were previously unaware of the egregiousness of the issue. It might mean any number of things. There's healthy skepticism and then there's unfounded rumor.

I don't like corporate spin either, but running with the worst possible interpretation can devolve into spin as well.

20. duratime

They don't always tell you all the changes. This will likely fix several problems, and yet cause several more like the last update. My only complaint has been the battery issue that was created in the last update.

21. hydralisk

hydralisk Well-Known Member

Does ANYONE have the update yet? I haven't seen a single case of someone's phone being fixed yet. I'm just eager to see what speeds people get.

22. duratime

I've been checking 4 forums, and it doesn't seem like anyone has it yet.

23. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

Samsung Epic:9/30 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release

24. JoedHimself

JoedHimself New Member

From sprint forums-

The maintenance release has been temporarily delayed. I just posted the following over on the MR thread:

We learned this evening that there were administrative issues getting this software loaded to Google's servers. We don't yet have an expected time when this will be available but will update you as soon as possible. Please see the statement below that was sent by the Sprint Product Management team:

We were planning to release an update for your Samsung Epic 4G on 9/30. The file was delivered and on track for distribution but late this afternoon, we learned that an administrative issue prevented Google from releasing the update as we had planned. We are working to resolve the issue and will provide an update as soon as we understand the new delivery schedule.

We would like to clarify that the timing of this update has nothing to do with the 30 day return window that many of you on these blogs have been discussing and that this delay has nothing to do with any last minute changes within the release package itself. The delay is simply due to an administrative issue that we are working to resolve.

My rating:

Average user rating

(0 ratings)

25. unkillable

unkillable Member

@joedhimself, hmm, I wonder if microsoft would like this lol