905 updateGeneral

1. Maddog241

Maddog241 Well-Known Member

I just read that 5.9.905 has made its way out into the wild. Perhaps minds were changed on the 904 build?

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. androidb

androidb Well-Known Member

Where did you read this from?
  3. happysteve11c

happysteve11c Member

Ill find out if i get the new s/w for it verizon is sending me a new phone cause of data problems so ill post a pic if thats what i get or not
  4. Maddog241

Lots of stuff on this and a link to the version over on Droidforums.net

This is a leak and has not been approved or released yet, but initial reports are better than 904.
  5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I'm installing it now. I was on .904, but reverting a stock .904 system to .902 is simple - using moto-fastboot all you need to do is flash both boot.img and system.img from the stock .902 FXZ, and your stock phone is now .902 again.

Caveats:

1) Do not need to unroot.
    2) *DO* need to make sure your stock system in pure stock - with bloat and all. Debloating *may* cause the update to fail.
  6. Maddog241

I'm really interested in how 905 performs and if it is improved over 904. I'm on the fence after the 904 mess...
  7. johnlgalt

I got .904 right about the same time my area got 4G - all of a sudden my rock solid phone was playing stupid more times than I could count....

I'm certainly hoping .905 plays nicer, too....else I might have to revert to .902 for the time being....
  8. beefyy

beefyy Well-Known Member

Flashed 905 yesterday and so far so good. It seemed to fix a gps issue I was having, and otherwise seems pretty stable. It's a pretty small file and it doesn't wipe anything on the phone which made flashing easy.
  9. dautley

dautley VIP Member VIP Member

10. beefyy

beefyy Well-Known Member

I downloaded the file and flashed it myself. It was pretty easy.
  11. dautley

I went ahead and went back to 902 and installed it to, but the term OTA used in the article means Over The Air which would imply it is being pushed to users by Verizon or Motorola.
  12. beefyy

beefyy Well-Known Member

Agreed...I just can't wait for those two anymore...i'm not sure whose slower.
  13. dautley

Of course I meant 902:)
  14. bgs_piece

bgs_piece Member

How do you flash just the boot.img and system.img and leave the rest as is if I'm on 5.9.904? I'm running stock rom but have bloatware frozen and have made changes to build.prop; I have the stock build.prop file. Do I need to be on stock build.prop and unfreeze bloat? When I installed the 5.9.904 I did have to use a stock build but I didn't unfreeze anything and all went as planned.

Thanks in advance for any help!
  15. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Based on what we learned in the past with 5.9.901 and 5.9.902 you can speculate all you want and you will be either right or wrong.

In the case of 5.9.902 the people involved in the testing could only talk to non-testers about it if they violated the nondisclosure agreement they agreed to with Motorola.

There were three leaks before 5.9.901. Then 5.9.901 was sent OTA to some people and not others. Then 5.9.902 went into soak test. Two days later 5.9.902 was sent OTA to everyone. Six weeks later 5.9.902 was announced on the Verizon website.

... Thom
  16. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that 905 disables GSM for us which sucks.
  17. johnlgalt

Can our phones do GSM to begin with?
  18. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Yep with a simple band unlock. Works on AT&T HSPA+, sometimes on T mobile but just edge. Straight talk, foreign sims etc. Verizon probably doesn't like that and neither does Motorola or FCC. The RAZR and D4 seem to work only overseas.
  19. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Well-Known Member

What GPS issue were you having?
  20. beefyy

beefyy Well-Known Member

This is a copy of my original part and .905 seems to have corrected it.
  21. Maddog241

22. fyrmd

fyrmd Well-Known Member

If I install the leak today, will I have to do it over when Verizon officially releases the update?
  23. Maddog241

Nope, the leaked 905 will be exactly the same as what is released as 905.
  24. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

These postings by Verizon for the Bionic have historically been very inaccurate.

They have posted information about releases in the past that were never released.

When 5.9.902 was finally released the corresponding Verizon posting appeared WEEKS later.

The only thing you can trust is information that it is actually being pushed out to everyone (in the case of 5.9.901 is was pushed out to some people an not others).

Shorter answer ... it is impossible to predict anything until it arrives.

... Thom