95% or more CPU is "User"

Last Updated:

1. HughBond

HughBond New Member

I'm trying to get my wife's MyTouch 3G back to a usable state. The OS is 2.2.1 and I've read about problems with "slowness" but nothing specific about what's making it slow. I've also seen the steps to roll back to 1.6 that will result in update pop-ups. My wife will not live with that.

What I'm seeing is the CPU usage is more than 95% taken by "user" yet no apps are taking more than a couple percent. I installed Watchdog Lite to monitor this and also scanned for viruses (negative) with Lookout.

Is that what happens when the 2.2.1 update runs slow or is there another known issue that causes that kind of high CPU use by user? The way it is now, it's virtually unusable due to lag and battery consumption.

I hope someone out there can help. She's stuck with this thing for a while until her contract is up.

2. Zappattazz

Zappattazz New Member

For keeping 2.2.1 intact (not rooting), go to the market and download "JuiceDefender". It will dramatically reduce the battery consumption. If you choose to "root" the phone, the program has features which activate on rooted phones.