A battery-friendly skin for forums?

Last Updated:

1. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'll go out on a limb here and guess that a disproportionate number of visitors to this site do so from their mobile device.

It's common knowledge that white backgrounds on web pages are a battery killer (and in my opinion unpleasant to read on).

What's the possibility of adding a battery-friendly option to the forum skins?
    Both mobile and standard versions. Perhaps using the Phandroid blue as bg w/ white text.

Advertisement
  2. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

It seems to be somewhat less common knowledge that this is only true on CRT's.

3. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Eugene is correct. "brighter" colors don't use any more battery power than "darker" colors. Don't confuse that with the overall brightness setting of the screen which does affect battery life.

4. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

Well I believe this IS actually true on the AMOLED screens of the Samsung phones, as AMOLED actually turns off the backlighting on the pixels not in use... as in anything that's black.

Regardless, personally I'd request that the current mobile portal was a bit more touch-friendly before anyone went around changing any of the colors.

5. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

you guys are flicking fly poo outta pepper here, how much battery do you really think you will gain on that tiny screen as much as you get on here?

6. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

I definitely hope you're not including me in that "you guys" lol. I'm not concerned in the least about battery life recovery with a darker skin, just wanted to further refine the facts being stated when it comes to the screens on some of our phones.

7. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

oh i would never include you in "you guys" c'mon now. :rolleyes:

seriously though, i was just saying there is not savings, you agree, actually your post was a whole different topic really which is making the site more touch friendly...which i can agree with.

8. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

The current one would be so much better if the titles of only threads with new posts were in bold. Atm only the post count loses bold once read.