A bit confused???

Last Updated:

1. Vasichko

Vasichko Member This Topic's Starter

I got my droid x today and rooted it.

Now im wanting to do custom themes, roms, widgets, fonts, etc.

Ive seen deodox, is this what I need to do next?

Also, how do I go about backing up my existing rom?

Advertisement
  2. eulerphi8

eulerphi8 Well-Known Member

your next step is custom recovery: http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/147562-custom-recovery-x.html.

Once you get bootstrap recovery for droid x, then you can get koudh's rom manager from android market. From there you can install an already deodexed rom and you'll be free to theme, etc. Rom manager also allows you to backup your rom.

Be careful though, if you got your Droid X today, you're most likely running 2.2 OTA. That means no full SBF, so if you really screw up your phone (hard but doable), you'll be looking at going back to Verizon with a bricked phone.

Vasichko likes this.
  3. Vasichko

OK so the link about would deodex? or does the rom manager deodex this?

Also what is full SBF?

4. eulerphi8

Both processes won't deodex. So there's two ways of deodexing, to do it yourself manually or to just download a rom that's already deodexed. If you want to install custom roms, then most of them will come deodexed, so you don't have to do it yourself. There's also a thread that details how you can manually deodex if you'd rather do it that way. That way you can just theme your 2.2 OTA straight up.

Full SBF is basically a recovery image from which the Droid X can be recovered from any state. It's basically a fallback if you ever mess up your phone really badly. There's a full SBF for 2.1 but since you have 2.2 and a new bootloader, you can't use that one.

Vasichko likes this.
  5. Vasichko

Ok so what about a SBF that is compatible with the new bootloader? How do you go about extracting the existing SBF or obtaining one? Im just trying to cover all bases....

Manually or deodoxing with a ROM it doesnt matter, I just want to save the state of the device that it is in now. Just looking for the safest way with a backup plan.

If it blows up not a big deal, its a corporate phone so I can just send it back but Id rather not blow it up, liking it more than my iPhone 4 already.

6. eulerphi8

There's no way to extract an full SBF from your phone. P3Droid, birdman, et al created a partial SBF for 2.2 that is floating around the internet. It's not a full SBF but it's basically a backup of your system folder so if you accidentally delete it you can use that. Motorola sent them a cease and desist letter so a lot of links to that have been pulled. Regardless like you inferred the best you can do is to make a backup of your rom, and if anything terrible goes wrong, you'll just have to send it back.

Vasichko likes this.
  7. Vasichko

geez, i feel like i shouldve just gotten the evo 4g regardless of how weak the battery is. This just seems like such a pain in the ass.

So if i decide to do this do I do the following?

get the droid x recovery bootstrap to create a sfb.

get rom manager if i want to recover, add roms, clear bloatware, etc.

then add a rom that will deodox.