A Chick's IRL impression of the X

Last Updated:

1. drpotter2807

drpotter2807 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So... even though I have been told several times by my ever-so trustworthy local Verizon reps, that they would not have a demo unit in... I decided to pop in today and with the intention of getting their store hours for Thursday. And when I inquired... just for shits a giggles... LOW AND BEHOLD they HAD one!!!!

So here is my quicky review from a chicks perspective. I am a long time Blackberry user (Curve, Storm, Tour) and a recent user of the Incredible(two weeks) I will be writing this largely in comparison of the Incredible, because frankly... if you are on Verizon, the X and the Incredible are probably your two contenders. Not to leave the original Droid owners out... but hey... it is what it is:

Overall Look and Feel:

Flat out, this thing is not as "sexy" as the Incredible. The Incredible is curvy and slick. The X is more box-ish. At first I was like, This isn't big enough to be the X.... I don't know what I had in my head. But the whole, "OMG this thing is SO freaking huge!!!!" is a crock of crap. Yes its big, buts its not crazy big. Its very slim. I think from what I have read that it is heavier or as heavy as the Inc, but it doesn't feel that way. Probably because of the difference in center of gravity. But the X is nice. It did lend itself to be held with two hands, which former BB owners will like I think. I myself like to type two handed. But I could reach all necessary areas of the screen without much problem one handed. I am 5'7" and have average, but not huge hands.

The screen was hard to judge. The Inc of course has such rich colors. The X I played with was not customized, so the color scheme was very neutral. I watched a movie clip on it and the picture looked very true to life in color. Not supersaturated like the Inc tends to be. So not as flashy... but nice. The size was perfect. Great viewing area. I think 4.3 is perfect. I can't wait to be able to watch/show off videos that I have taken of the kids on it.

Keyboard/typing:

I have been a long time user of a real keyboard. I REALLY hesitated getting the incredible because of a lack of one. My BB Storm SUCKED ASS, and I didn't keep it very long. But I have found that between the responsive keyboard and the autocorrection, these new droid devices work just fine. I do tend to hit the wrong key with the Inc, because the spaces are so small, but the auto correct usually catches it. On the X, I hit less wrong keys. I LOVED the keyboard. The auto correct looks a little different, its not as easily seen, but it works just as well, if not better. It also does talk to text entries as well, which i have really come to depend on as well. I did not test out Swype, because honestly the keyboard works so well on both these phones, ya dont need it. The keyboard set up is different on the X. The punctuation is on its own screen. I had seen this in a couple of videos, and worried about it, but its easy to get to and well laid out. So no worries there.

Camera:
    Didn't have enough time to really explore it, but the rep said it takes awesome pics. I like the zoom feature of the volume toggle and the dedicated camera button. The program seemed easy to use.

Speed:
    The X was fast and sleek. I didn't notice the "hitch"someppl are talking about. I really like the screen shortcuts at the bottom. Much easier to get to jump between screens that way instead of pinch to zoom and THEN pick a screen like you do with Sense. Other than that, I couldn't tell much about the speed in the few minutes I had to play with it.

I didn't get a chance to test the call quality or anything... But I did send myself a text, so the whole bullcrap about they can't activate a phone until the 15th??? ( refering to those who "accidentally" were sent theirs early)

Overall... if sleek "iphone-ish" looks are what you are going for, the Inc may be more your style. If function it what you want...Get the X. I am!

Advertisement
  2. darreno1

darreno1 Well-Known Member

Nice. Looks like I will have to pop into the Verizon store close by tomorrow to see if they have a demo on hand.

3. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

Cool

4. Gummibands

Gummibands Well-Known Member

Thanks for this review. It helps to hear from a woman about the phone. I'll be waiting for about two weeks after the phone comes out before I even get it so that I know the issues experienced by customers and what not.

5. jbhumph

jbhumph Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing! I tried my local VZWs but couldn't find a demo unit, dummy or working. I tried Best Buy though and they had a dummy unit finally out....and I LOVE the look of it!! Can't wait to get my hands on the real deal next Thursday :)

6. Rimzy

Rimzy Well-Known Member

Awesome! Droid X women FTW!

7. Kazrell

Kazrell Well-Known Member

I also played with one today - I like your post. The other person in the Verizon store was a blackberry user and had the same comments about coming over to the X from the blackberry and was impressed with the keyboard. Which says something, blackberry users are avid users of they're beloved keyboards, so for one of them to say hey, I can really punch out some emails on this thing is pretty awesome.

jbhumph likes this.
  8. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Well-Known Member

Thanks for chiming up a Female first impression of the Droid X.
    I will be directing all the Android weary ladies that I know to your post.
    In my opinion, Android is and should be used by everyone.
    Open source is just a No brainer win for the consumer & developers.

Just a FYI, the reason Motorola put the punctuation on a separate keyboard screen is so that the keyboard multi-touch works.
    I have a feeling I am really going to love the DX multi touch keyboard.
    As if typing on Android wasn't already fast! ;)
    A much welcomed feature.
    I am completely sold on the Droid X.

Thanks again!

9. drpotter2807

drpotter2807 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Good to know about the punctuation keyboard. Like I said... I was REALLY leary at first, but when using it its a breeze!

Yup... Android ROCKS! I am proof that an iphone is not a prereq for soccer moms! But I am fine with all those girls thinking they've got the shiznit in their hands... I can't wait for my new X to blow my co-worker away. ;)