A Cool Feature I Didn't KnowGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Was that if your phone is ringing at a bad time, like say you're in a meeting and forgot to put it on vibrate, if you place it face down, it will go silent. It works, yay!!!

Now the question is, does anyone know how to turn that off? I searched and didn't see it. My phone is ALWAYS on vibrate. I just hate to hear mine, or anybody elses cell phone ring, don't know why. But I miss way too many calls as it is. My phone stays in my pocket and I don't want to take a chance of missing an important call cuz the phone some kinda way got flipped face down and it stopped vibrating.

Advertisement
    hurley710 and Frisco like this.
  2. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is pretty neat. But I don't believe you can turn it off. I'm pretty sure it's a feature that is built into the phone.

3. 150_cav

150_cav Well-Known Member

menu>settings>Sound & display> uncheck Quiet ring on pickup
    i'm 90% sure that does it but not 100%

4. dragonbro

dragonbro Well-Known Member

That is a cool feature! I just tested it, if it is face down on table it gives a half ring and just goes silent. It made no difference if it was in my pocket though.....it rang normal.

I also like it that if flat on a table, face up, you can pick up the phone when it rings and the ringer volume goes very quiet. Unfortunately it doesn't do this when you pull it from your pocket either.

5. Flickted

Flickted Member

Thanks very much for posting that. Will come in handy!

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

6. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

This is what that setting turns off. It would be cool if someone wouldtest each option with and without the setting checked though. I would, but I only have my Eris so I can't call it

7. zebug

zebug Well-Known Member

my phone didn't do any of these. I have a custom ringtone (Animal from nickelback) so I don't know if that changes things. When my phone is face down it plays the ringtone just as normal.

and when its face up it and I get a call, it rings a little lower but that is because the speaker is muffled so when I pick it up its much louder.

My phone did do what the OP suggested as when I place it face down after it started ringing it silences the ringtone which is cool

Also, I don't even have a "quiet ring on pickup" option under settings>sound & display (I'm still on 1.5 if that makes a difference)

8. Bishop

Glad I could pass it on.

9. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Thank you for that find. :)

Man, I've had this thing for months now; how could that have escaped me? (don't answer that :D)

10. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I am pretty certain that the phone's feature to quiet on placing face down on a level surface while ringing is only after the phone has started ringing. Or, said another way, if the phone is already face down, it will ring; if you pick it up and place it back face down, it will silence the ring.

I could be wrong about that.

11. Frisco

I just called mine using my kid's iPhone with the Eris face down and it caught fire.

12. Bishop

You're right, I tried. I even just tried when I had a text coming in. Seeing as how I get more texts than phone calls these days, you'd think it'd work for incoming texts.

13. jkmailley

jkmailley Well-Known Member

I just tried this too. This phone is so smart, I would love it even more if it knew it was face down; that way it would just silence the ring. I always seem to forget to silence my phone and I have to run back to my office when I'm on the service desk to stifle it.

14. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

That's what you get for using the iPhone. ;)

The quiet ring on pickup was introduced in 2.1 so you won't be able to do that. Honestly, you aren't missing much because a lot of people end up missing calls because of this feature. If you are carrying the phone in your pocket or somewhere that moves, the ring can be silenced and you never know it rang. I turned that feature off really fast.

15. Bishop

See, all joking aside, I'm wondering if that's what's been happening to me. I miss A LOT of calls. And most of them, I'm thinking "How could I not feel my phone vibrating at that time?" I was telling my wife that that's possibly the reason I miss when she calls, and of course, she just said "Um huh, ok". Which means "You's a damn lie!"

16. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

yeah turn that crapola off....i missed many calls cause of that thing.

17. R1OT

R1OT Well-Known Member

I knew about the feature before but didn't realize it was turned on by default. My Omnia had that as well it was called edecate mode. Yes I know i spelled it wrong but too lazy to fix.

18. Frisco

A-ha.. the plot thickens. So, missed calls may be a result of that "feature."

Hmm... there has been a time or two when I've missed a call riding my bike or whatever.. I'm gonna turn that feature off... wait, the feature isn't there. Never mind.

Must be a 2.1 thing.

19. Bishop

And if that's the case, I'm gonna need everyone who's missed a call to all gather together, and show up at my doorstep. I'll be the one to ring the doorbell, then we all explain it to the wifey. It'll be like those Verizon commercials, with a crowd of people standing behind me. I think that's what it'll take to prove myself this time.

End result for me is I'm gonna turn it off, and see if this changes things. Still a cool trick, but not really needed for me.

20. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

21. Frisco

Yeah, stuff involving the wives and the devices also will, in the long run, involve a lot more than either of them.

I gather that feature is not on 1.5, by the way. Am I right? I can't find a setting for it.

22. Bishop

I think you're right. I don't see it either. I'm on 1.5 still. Dangit.

*Edit*

Thanks, will look at those this evening.