A couple gripes... help pleaseSupport

Last Updated:

1. Video_freak

Video_freak Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone, I just got my Vibrant and love it, but there are a couple of things I hope I can fix or find workaround solutions for. The first is the Youtube application. I can't scroll down more than once or twice in a list before I get a "Connection problem http response 503" pop-up. After that, I can no longer load new videos in the list. I tried clearing data and cache with no success. The mobile YouTube site is alright, but sends me back to the top of the page when I hit "load more videos," and it doesn't work as well as the native app should.

Also, why can't you scroll the cursor through text you are typing in? I just switched from an iPhone, and on that device I could scroll to the beginning or end of the text I had just entered by holding my finger over it until the magnifying class came up, then it would scroll to the left or right for me until it got to the beginning or end of my message. On the Vibrant, I can only get to the second or third character by tapping as much to the left as I can without hitting the button to the left of the text input box; getting to the first character in the box is pretty much impossible for me, so I have to delete it in order to get to that first character spot. And I can't find any way to make the cursor move to the text to the right of the end of the box, I have to go back and delete enough characters to make them show back up in the box.

If anyone knows, is there really a solid fix coming for the GPS? I've tried some fixes, and ended up going back to stock. It works alright sometimes, but often it just sits there trying to lock on.

Finally, can you copy/paste text in a web page (not in a text input window)? And if so, how do you do it?

One more thing, why does the SD card sometimes fail to be recognized by the device? I've never had this kind of issue before, especially on a smartphone. If I upgrade cards, will I still face this problem occasionally?

Advertisement
  2. wildblue

wildblue Well-Known Member

1. I can also get the 503 error, but it appears to be only if I try to scroll while the list is loading. If I scroll a bit slower it works fine. Probably a bug, but easy workaround if you're a bit patient.

2. If you use the Samsung keyboard you can do a long press on the ?123 key and get cursor control arrow keys. On the Swype keyboard swype left-to-right from the Swype key to the SYM key and cursor control keys will come up. Far as I know the Android keyboard doesn't have this feature.

3. Samsung says a GPS fix will be available in Sept. The assumption being it will be bundled with the Froyo update.

4. When you're on a web page press the Menu button (left most LED button) > More > Select text. Highlight the text you want and it's copied to the clipboard.

5. I've only had my SD card fail to be seen once. I just removed it and re-seated it and it's worked fine. Give that a try.

Video_freak likes this.
  3. Video_freak

Thank you so much for all of that!! I'll just have to wait and see for the SD card it seems :/

4. yatimameiji

yatimameiji Well-Known Member

1. The app is a bit outdated considering they've made m.youtube.com look very nice. I would say use the mobile browser version to navigate videos.

5. Is your SD card branded? ie does it say Samsung or some other big name brand name? If not, it could be that is a cheap version and I've read many stories about sd card problems and they all go back to being cheap non-branded versions. Also if you get a new card, or even with this card after you back it up, is to use the phone to format it. Also never unplug it from a computer without doing the safe to remove option first. This forces any writes that were pending to finish and unmount the card. Doing that and you should be good.

Now I dont know about which speeds(class) the phone supports, but the higher the class, the faster the card is, and faster the card the faster you can load data to it and read it off.

5. Video_freak

It's the stock 2 GB card that came with the phone, which is made by Samsung. I had the issue a couple times when I first got the phone, but it's been fine since.

I might upgrade the card though, which class is recommended? 4+?

6. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

generally thats what most are saying. class 4 at the minimum and youre good.

I plan on getting an 8gb class 6 card from transcend. 20bucks on amazon

7. howetechnical

howetechnical Well-Known Member

Honestly, class 2+ is totally fine for most people. If you're watching HD videos and listening to high bit rate music from your SD card, that's when a 4+ class is better, as it has faster read/write times. But for most people who only access the SD card for documents and standard def videos or CD ripped songs, 2+ read/write times are fine.

I think the biggest argument for anybody would be that, "Hey, SD cards with class 4 are so cheap now anyway, why get anything lower?". This thinking is common among all electronics now-a-days.

8. Video_freak

Alright, thanks for the memory card tips. I'm now discovering that my battery life is horrible. I turn off auto brightness, leave the brightness on minimum (browser setting included), disable gmail syncing/email fetching, disable Facebook updates/notifications, run only a couple widgets on my homescreen (I set Beautiful Widgets to 16 hour intervals for weather and just update manually every once in a while), and use the K9 email app with push (which I believe is passive vs. active on the gmail app). I've also turned off WiFi notifications and disabled Google Talk auto sign on. What more can I possibly do? I still only get a day's use at the very best. :(

I forgot to mention, but I've also disabled background data along with auto-sync. I'm just running out of ideas here...

9. wearespacepeople

wearespacepeople Well-Known Member

Not that I am some know-it-all when it comes to android, but I think that's just what you can expect from android powered device. From what I read Vibrant is supposed to even have better battery life than most other high-end android devices which was pretty shocking to me as this is my first android smart phone and yeah the battery life is not very good. However I've done some tweaking and I've come to a point where I'm content with my battery life. I think the largest battery saver was turning the screen brightness down to 0, disabling background data and I never leave things like wifi or GPS on when I'm not using them. I can get through a whole day with moderate use which isn't too bad, I love my phone :).

10. Video_freak

Yeah, I think that may be about right, I'll just have to get used to it. It just feels weird coming off an original iPhone (2g signal) that could go for days.