• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Couple of App Questions (Twidroid, Advanced Task Killer)

dmj2012

Lurker
Oct 17, 2009
Just got a myTouch a few days ago. I've got two unrelated app questions. Searched here and elsewhere but couldn't find the answer.

1. Twidroid has several settings for intervals to check for tweets, @replies, etc. Why are the 15 min, 30 min and 1 hour intervals starred as battery-draining while the 3 min and 5 min are not. Wouldn't more frequent checks use more battery? Or is there something counterintuitive at work? For my sanity I'd prefer a 15 minute check over a 5 minute, but not at the cost of battery life.

2. I'm using Advanced Task Killer to turn off apps I'm not using. I was worried that if i killed apps like Gmail, Twidroid, Google Voice, Messaging and other that alert you when there's new stuff going on that the alerts wouldn't work. So far that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems if I kill Gmail I still get alerts when new mail so I assume that the checks are done by a different process? Is this true for all apps? Or do i need to check each app to see which ones alert when not running in the background?

- Daniel

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones