• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A Couple of GTab Rooting Questions

mtbcpa

Jun 14, 2011
Again, thanks for everyone's help in the past. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a standard list of the cache clearing, etc. things to do, and a correct order to follow, if you want to be sure to have the most bullet proof install of a Rom on a gtab possible? I tend do do a bunch of things just in case, but I really don't understand what I am doing and why, and I have off and on success with stability. I would like to know of these items, which I should always do for the highest chances of sucess, and in what order, if applicable:
- Wipe cache
- Factory reset/data wipe
- Wipe dalvik cache
- Format SD
- Fix permissions

2. The most stable install I have had was Mountain Laurel, which I loved. The ONLY quirk I had was I could not find the facebook app or the twitter app in the market. Is there a fix for something like that?

Thanks!

In my experience, the most helpful are:

Wipe Cache
Wipe Davlik Cache
Format Data
Format System

I only formatted my SD card when I starting using Honeycomb ROM's, and then I had to also use the NV flash to reset my system partition as well (250MB). I've never needed to fix permissions myself, but I know some problems require you to do so.

There is a market fix you can try, listed here:

Working Market fix (tested on TnT Lite, should work elsewhere) - xda-developers

Upvote 0
This is what I do...

Wipe data
Wipe cache
Install my ROM and if there's a new kernel
I wipe davlik cache.

Sometimes I even do the following if I experience weird things after I install a ROM..

Use the advanced options

format system times 3, cache times 3, data times 3 then install my rom then wipe davlik.

Oh and fix permissions is used when you experience force closing apps. Sometimes that helps fix that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones