A Couple of GTab Rooting Questions

1. mtbcpa

mtbcpa Well-Known Member

Again, thanks for everyone's help in the past. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a standard list of the cache clearing, etc. things to do, and a correct order to follow, if you want to be sure to have the most bullet proof install of a Rom on a gtab possible? I tend do do a bunch of things just in case, but I really don't understand what I am doing and why, and I have off and on success with stability. I would like to know of these items, which I should always do for the highest chances of sucess, and in what order, if applicable:
    - Wipe cache
    - Factory reset/data wipe
    - Wipe dalvik cache
    - Format SD
    - Fix permissions

2. The most stable install I have had was Mountain Laurel, which I loved. The ONLY quirk I had was I could not find the facebook app or the twitter app in the market. Is there a fix for something like that?

Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. xeno2011

xeno2011 Well-Known Member

In my experience, the most helpful are:

Wipe Cache
    Wipe Davlik Cache
    Format Data
    Format System

I only formatted my SD card when I starting using Honeycomb ROM's, and then I had to also use the NV flash to reset my system partition as well (250MB). I've never needed to fix permissions myself, but I know some problems require you to do so.

There is a market fix you can try, listed here:

Working Market fix (tested on TnT Lite, should work elsewhere) - xda-developers
  3. mtbcpa

mtbcpa Well-Known Member

Thanks! What does format data and format system do?
  4. mtbcpa

mtbcpa Well-Known Member

Also, do you do these things AFTER or BEFORE you install a new Rom?
  5. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

This is what I do...

Wipe data
    Wipe cache
    Install my ROM and if there's a new kernel
    I wipe davlik cache.

Sometimes I even do the following if I experience weird things after I install a ROM..

Use the advanced options

format system times 3, cache times 3, data times 3 then install my rom then wipe davlik.

Oh and fix permissions is used when you experience force closing apps. Sometimes that helps fix that.
  6. mtbcpa

mtbcpa Well-Known Member

Thanks! And do you do this all before or after the Rom install?
  7. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Some before and some after. Please see my post. :D
  8. mtbcpa

mtbcpa Well-Known Member

Ok, I have GTabComb installed and now after a month or so of stability, I am starting to experience force closes, etc., so I am considering some of the above actions. Which one of the above will make me lose data/settings, etc.? Thanks!
  9. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Well-Known Member

you can wipe cache and dalvik without losing any of your data or settings. wiping data is the one that will clear everything.
  10. mtbcpa

mtbcpa Well-Known Member

How about formatting system and formatting cache? I suppose getting rid of cache is never going to harm anything.
  11. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Well-Known Member

Formatting system and/or cache will not erase your current data/settings either. Basically, as long as you don't touch the data partition, you will be fine.