Root A Couple of GTab Rooting Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mtbcpa, Sep 20, 2011.

1. mtbcpa

mtbcpa Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Again, thanks for everyone's help in the past. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a standard list of the cache clearing, etc. things to do, and a correct order to follow, if you want to be sure to have the most bullet proof install of a Rom on a gtab possible? I tend do do a bunch of things just in case, but I really don't understand what I am doing and why, and I have off and on success with stability. I would like to know of these items, which I should always do for the highest chances of sucess, and in what order, if applicable:
    - Wipe cache
    - Factory reset/data wipe
    - Wipe dalvik cache
    - Format SD
    - Fix permissions

2. The most stable install I have had was Mountain Laurel, which I loved. The ONLY quirk I had was I could not find the facebook app or the twitter app in the market. Is there a fix for something like that?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. xeno2011

xeno2011 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    In my experience, the most helpful are:

Wipe Cache
    Wipe Davlik Cache
    Format Data
    Format System

I only formatted my SD card when I starting using Honeycomb ROM's, and then I had to also use the NV flash to reset my system partition as well (250MB). I've never needed to fix permissions myself, but I know some problems require you to do so.

There is a market fix you can try, listed here:

Working Market fix (tested on TnT Lite, should work elsewhere) - xda-developers

3. mtbcpa

mtbcpa Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks! What does format data and format system do?

4. mtbcpa

mtbcpa Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Also, do you do these things AFTER or BEFORE you install a new Rom?

5. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    This is what I do...

Wipe data
    Wipe cache
    Install my ROM and if there's a new kernel
    I wipe davlik cache.

Sometimes I even do the following if I experience weird things after I install a ROM..

Use the advanced options

format system times 3, cache times 3, data times 3 then install my rom then wipe davlik.

Oh and fix permissions is used when you experience force closing apps. Sometimes that helps fix that.

6. mtbcpa

mtbcpa Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks! And do you do this all before or after the Rom install?

7. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Some before and some after. Please see my post. :D

8. mtbcpa

mtbcpa Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Ok, I have GTabComb installed and now after a month or so of stability, I am starting to experience force closes, etc., so I am considering some of the above actions. Which one of the above will make me lose data/settings, etc.? Thanks!

9. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Clemson, SC
    you can wipe cache and dalvik without losing any of your data or settings. wiping data is the one that will clear everything.

10. mtbcpa

mtbcpa Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2011
    How about formatting system and formatting cache? I suppose getting rid of cache is never going to harm anything.

11. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Clemson, SC
    Formatting system and/or cache will not erase your current data/settings either. Basically, as long as you don't touch the data partition, you will be fine.