• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A Couple Of Issues With My DHD

Bedroom Eyes

May 10, 2011
Canada
So I've had my DHD for about a year now, and I haven't really had any problems up until now:

1. My Volume control on the side is starting to fall off.. If I press volume up, the button lifts up a lot on the other side, and I have to press it back in. It still works, it's just really loose and looks like if I press volume up too many times, it might fall off. I'm not rough with my phone; it stays in my pocket, and when it's not, it's on my bed, or another soft setting. I baby it.

2. Ever since the 2.3.5 update with Telus, my phone's screen will sometimes "freeze". By this, I mean, I'll turn on the screen, and when I go to pull the ring up, nothing happens. Then if the screen turns off, you can see my lock screen very faintly, but only if you look really close. I then have to pull out the battery and restart the phone that way, because nothing works except for the lights for the home, menu, etc buttons.

3. The 2.3.5 update with Telus now makes the phone play a jingle upon startup... I've tried a few "silent boot" apps, but nothing has worked so far.

My main issues are 1 and 2. So basically, I'm wondering what my options are for fixing them.
For 1, should I possibly take my phone in to Telus and see if they'll fix it?
For 2, should I factory reset? If so, how, and how do I back up all of my data on my phone? I have a tonne of contacts, messages, photos, memories and stuff like that, I'd prefer not to lose it. :(

Any information on this would help. Especially if you've had any of these, and managed to fix them.

EDIT: No, I'm not rooted.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones