A couple of memory card questionsAccessories

Last Updated:

1. Adeline

Adeline Member This Topic's Starter

Please bear with me, this is my first post here and I haven't even got my Desire yet! It's arriving on the 21st but I want to get a bigger memory card to put in as soon as it arrives.
    My questions are:
    - where's a good place to get a decent 8 or 16GB sd card? Are they all equal or should I be wary of bargains?
    - when I get the phone, can I just take out the 4GB card, put my new one in and format it via the phone to get what I need on it? Or do I need to go via a computer and copy folders across from the 4GB onto my new card?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

First off, if it's a new phone then just put the new card in and Android will create folders that it needs. I have found Android to be pretty good at replacing folders that I "accidently" delete.

Secondly - a class 6 card is fastest (I think) and that's what you ought to look out for. My personal experience is that cheap cards are slower and tend to fail earlier. There's also lots of reports of memory cards and USB sticks coming from Asia on Ebay with MUCH less capacity than advertised. The card says 16GB and the PC/Phone reads it as 16GB but when you try and put more than 2GB on, it dies.

Defo get a brand name from a reputable seller where you can talk to someone if it goes wrong. Pay an extra few quid for that but worth it.

3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

DONT buy from ebay, or traders on Play or Amazon - only directly sold by play or Amazon.

4. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Try the following:

7dayshop.com - Online shopping made easy !
    Micro SD Cards, Compact Flash, Memory Cards, R4 Card, SD Cards, SSD, SDHC - MyMemory
    Buy Mini SD Cards | Micro SD Card | SD Memory Cards | Memory Stick | Micro M2 Cards | MemoryBits - The one stop memory flash shop
    Play.com (UK): DVDs, Music CDs, MP3s, Video Games, Books, Electronics & Gadgets - Free Delivery (as nx1977 said ONLY buy from Play, not PlayTraders)

Class 6 cards will cost you far more than a Class 2 and in my opinion i'd rather just wait an extra few minutes for my transfers :) Get a decent brand (SanDisk, Kingston) and it will probably be over spec anyway

5. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

I have used MyMemory and found them to be excellent. Play has often been criticised for their returns and complaints handling but I have no experience myself.

6. Adeline

Adeline Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for all these replies. I have ordered a 16GB SanDisk from amazon.

7. amanpreet

amanpreet New Member

Well, i dont think there are any class 6 cards for microSD, as these are predominantly for mobile phones and a faster card will not provide and speed bump.

well, did find transcend 80x cards... but wasnt able to find anythin from sandisk (sorry but i prefer to stay wid these brands)...

8. ijb

ijb Member

Class 6 macroS cards are available to buyand it will make a speed difference when you transfer data to/from the card. If a later date Google enable apps to run from sd, you will really notice the difference.

9. amanpreet

amanpreet New Member

well... i totally agree with the point about the apps runnin faster wid a faster sd card... but i aint soo shure bout data transfer unless ya directly plug the card in the computer...

But overall as of now... besides data transfer there is no apparent speed bump...

Thats wat i feel... maybe wrong...
    cheers!!!

10. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Apps run at exactly the same speed from internal memory as on my Class II card ;-)

Transferring data to the card should be quicker but that's about it.

11. damuffinman

damuffinman Well-Known Member

That's right, the Class speeds only specify the minimum write speed to the card. A Class 2 card and a Class 6 card can have the same read speed.

Oh yes, and you should always go for quality. SanDisk is a good choice. A Nokia or Samsung microSDHC card is not.

12. The Boat

The Boat New Member

Hi, pretty similar query to the above so thought I'd stick it here -

Is it possible to get a 32gb Micro-SD card for the Desire yet, or is 16gb as high as it goes right now? I can't seem to find anything bigger online (I'm going travelling and wanted to get as much media on the phone as possible!)

Thanks

13. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

32gb cards arent cheap ;)

14. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

I have a 32Gb microSD card, works fine in my Desire. They are exclusively available from Sandisk at the moment via their UK and US online stores, and they run out of stock very quickly and keep placing them on backorder.

If you don't live in the US then you can use Shipito to have them delivered, its what I did.

Price is $199US from the US store, which is very disproportionately expensive compared to 16Gb cards. If you can afford it then it may be worth it to you, it certainly was for me.

15. NZtechfreak

I have a 32Gb microSD card, works fine in my Desire. They are exclusively available from Sandisk at the moment via their UK and US online stores, and they run out of stock very quickly and keep placing them on backorder.

If you don't live in the US then you can use Shipito to have them delivered, its what I did.

Price is $199US from the US store, which is very disproportionately expensive compared to 16Gb cards. If you can afford it then it may be worth it to you, it certainly was for me.

16. NZtechfreak

17. NZtechfreak

18. NZtechfreak

19. NZtechfreak

20. The Boat

The Boat New Member

Ah right, will just go with the 16gb for now and hopefully the 32gb will come down in price a bit later.

Thanks.

21. Zarch

Zarch Well-Known Member

22. The Boat

The Boat New Member

Only just seen this, I went with the Sandisk 16gb (

23. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest

I've had my desire about 6 weeks now, and think I need to upgrade to 16gb. I don't have any docs or anything saved to my SD card, so do I just pull it out and swap it over?

24. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

I just copied the contents from one to the other but yea if you haven't saved anything to it at all then just swap it.