• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A couple questions about the phone

bigjeey

Lurker
Sep 25, 2010
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, but read a great deal of threads in here already, and some great advice/tips.

Anyway, a lot of questions :D

1. I read a lot about rooting/custom firmware. Is this allowed through both android and HTC's license agreements, or is it like a jailbreak ?

2. It seems the official 2.2 update is already out for this one, correct ? (i'll figure out how to update on my own, no worries)

3. How is this phone's skype/msn compatibility ? A simple google search might answer this however, but i'm feeling lazy.

4. I realize it has flash, how is youtube on it ? And how about the html5 player ?

5. Are there any good free offline GPS apps to circumvent high roaming costs abroad ? (It may be easy to get them all for free, but not a big fan of it)

6. Is there any way to set up something like 3G tethering over WiFi ? (would be really nice for the itouch for example)

7. How is the keyboard, on a scale from LG cookie to iPhone ? (very personal, i know :))
I'm considering this phone because it has a lot of functionality in a 'budget' phone and has a nice feel to it. Right now i'm on an alcatel OT800, it's a decent phone but i really want 3G, and a GPS and FM radio are a nice bonus. I really want an iphone 4, but i can't justify the cost. I know i'm getting a phone with a bad-average display and a tad slower processor, but it seemed rather speedy, even on 2.1.

Maybe i need to mention some things. I am from belgium and will be buying it here (unlocked, contract free) at around 270 EUR. My current data plan is 2GB/1000SMS/15eur calling credit each time i pay 15 eur (no contract).

2. Update is not out for all Android phones.
3.Msn works, skype only text, no working skype so far, there was skype lite, but they removed it.
4.Flash works ok, there is embeded youtube player that comes with the phone.
5.There are navigation softwares, theres also iGo for android.
6. Yes, teethering works out of the box. you just need to enable it when you want to use it.

Reactions: bigjeey
Upvote 0
You can google a lot of those things.

Protip: Seeing the phone you're coming from I can tell you that the screen quality will have you surprised. What happens is that the people that review this phones are used to devices a heck of a lot better, with AMOLED screens and all but the screen of the wildfire is great.

Yes, i am aware of this. Difference is that i'm also used to the iphone/itouch screen (not the new one). But i know i'm not getting a screen that can top those. It's good to know that the screen is still decent quality.

Upvote 0
Well, i've ordered it :)

Is this thing selling like crazy or is there but a very limited stock or something ? I went to 9 different stores and they all sold out. Couldn't even get a showroom model anymore :(
Those guys in the stores are a funny bunch though, you walk in planning to get something, and they almost have you leave with an iPhone4, HTC desire, some symbian/nokia thing, or a samsung galaxy apollo :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones