A couple restore and backup Q's

Last Updated:

1. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

4 questions for the collective here (background: I just tried changing my Virtuous kernel to the custom Adrenyline one, and after my DINC reloaded I was left with a clean Sense wipe and asked to setup my phone... AGAIN. Not wanting to go through that entire process, which I've wasted a large amount of time on now that I've been playing with root, I decided to go back into Nandroid and just do a restore of the Virtuous ROM stock kernel setup I had. So once things had booted back up, I was once again asked to do a Sense setup [i.e. setup Google acct, set up everything like it was a factory reset]. Left without options at this point, I went ahead and just set the phone back up... AGAIN).

1. I was under the impression that I could do a Nandroid restore and things would go back exactly to how I had them when I did the backup. For some reason this didn't fly with Virtuous running. Any suggestions? I still have the backup.

2. When I'm doing a Titanium restore, which option should I choose? Options are:
    - Restore missing apps with data
    - Restore missing apps + all system data
    - Restore all apps with data

3. How do I update my Titanium backup? It seems to keep going back to the original one I did last weekend, and I have since updated my Apps list. I don't want all the apps it keeps restoring.

4. When I do a Nandroid restore, certain App icons on my home page come back, and certain ones don't. I.e. I get generic Android icons. The shortcuts still work, but I would like it if the proper icon was restored instead of having to delete them and then replace them. Thoughts?

Thanks all. This community has been super helpful and I appreciate people taking the time to answer questions and help peeps out.

Advertisement
  2. Jonamerica

Jonamerica Well-Known Member

1. Nandroid does restore the phone to the exact state it was in when the backup was made. If your phone was setup prior to backup, it should be so after restore. Make sure you're doing a restore not just re-installing the virtuous ROM. Also, make sure you're restoring the correct backup.

2. Depends. Was the latest titanium backup done in the current rom (virtuous) or the another rom (ir Adrenyline). If the Titanium backup is from a Virtuous setup you can restore everything if you are running the virtuous ROM. If the backup and ROM are different, it's an apps only restore - otherwise you will write over ROM specific system files and could break the ROM.

3. Menu > Batch > Run Backup all new apps & newer version. Then on the home screen setup a schedule to do a regular weekly backup.

4. I've noticed this as well. Sometime rebooting the phone fixes it. Sometimes not. It also happens to me on ROM upgrades. It's the price of root, I guess.

Lev16 likes this.