A couple ?s from a newb...

Last Updated:

1. Legal

Legal Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I was lucky enough to get a wonderful Hero about a week ago and I'm currently trying to beef this bad boy up to my standards a bit. Just a couple of quick questions:

1) I've read about updating my Rom (I think that's what it's called). I reside in West Virginia, US and my carrier is Sprint if that helps at all. How do I go about doing such a thing?

2) I tried downloading some of the apps at the stickied thread at the top of the forum. Well, when I scan the barcode, three options come up, two of which are to share the URL, the other, to open the browser. Naturally, I pick the first to open the browser only to receive an error message "There are no matches in android market for the search: XXXX" What am I doing wrong?

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future, as this looks like a powerful, complex mobile device.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Advertisement
  2. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Chances are the apps are for 1.6 and above.
    You could try asking on the Sprint forum.

3. Legal

Legal Active Member This Topic's Starter

Bump. Looking for a little help.

4. n0gik

n0gik Well-Known Member

1. Plenty of HOW-TO information on 'ROOTING' (must be done first) then changing the ROM and further customizations. Plenty to read on this forum (search function) as well as:
    Geek For Me

5. thefley

thefley Well-Known Member

I would not root your phone, if you read all the threads about it you will see many have went back to stock. just wait for the 2.1 update from sprint and HTC. you can go into settings----> about phone----> system updates and then scan for any updates it needs for now.

6. cacaman

cacaman Well-Known Member

Where do you get apps that are not in the market?

7. n0gik

n0gik Well-Known Member

Exactly my point. Being informed before jumping. :) One person may be happy with performance, not annoyed by force close or random 'why does my phone do this?' stuff. While others, will elect to try something else.

In my opinion, waiting for Google (Android), a phone manufacturer (HTC) or a carrier (Sprint) to agree upon releasing fixes, enhancements or new features via OTA updates or other means, isn't always the best option. Certainly they're not the ONLY option, hence a lot of traffic in these forums. :cool: