a cute little CHEAP alternative to a desk dock...Accessories

Last Updated:

1. tschecter

tschecter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I ordered this little thingy a few weeks ago- cheap- it cost under a dollar with shipping, from ebay. Cause no way was I going to pay the cost for a desk dock- I can plug my phone in directly to cord, and all I wanted was something to prop it up on my desk so I could glance up at it.

this little doodad is S shaped- and the cool thing- if I turn it one side up, it holds the phone at the perfect angle for landscape mode... if I turn it the other side up, it holds the phone at the perfect angle for portrait mode.

I know, its a cheapy little plastic thingy- but honestly... why would I need an actual dock? I use screeble so my phone stays on when it is at the correct angle- which this does for me. so this makes me happy.

Note- I do have a hard case on my phone, so if you do not use a case, the fit will be different. but with the case, its perfect!

- ok, the one i gotr for a dollar isn't there anymore, but this is identical ecxept for color and it bein 2 dollars shippied.
    Cradle Stand Bracket Dock Holder for iPhone iPod Touch - eBay (item 190411292559 end time Nov-25-10 22:46:00 PST)

you know, just in case anyone out ther is like me (cheap) or just does not want to have to take the phone from its case to have it prop up. and yes, i saw the binder clip idea, but I am not THAT cheap.

btw- it says for apple stuff, but no apple logo on it anywhere, totally aftermarket.

Advertisement
    Taitia, saps and Halcyon like this.
  2. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

I got something similar when I bought an Incipio case for my iPod. Of course, once I bought this phone the dang thing disappeared.. Still a nice idea, very simple. Another cheap alternative is a couple of binder clips - there are dozens of solutions using them.

3. dewalist

dewalist Well-Known Member

I used to fold an old plastic membership card into a Z shape that would hold my Eris in a similar manner, but only in landscape.

I am using the kickstand case from Verizon now though, because I like having the kickstand with me at all times...

4. tschecter

i considered that case, but 2 things-- 1, it only came in black. huge turn off, since I came from a black phone that couldn't get a case, and after black for 2 years, I wanted color.

2- I am far too cheap for it. no way would I pay 15-20 for a case when I could find cases that were way prettier for 3 bucks on ebay.

Ultimately, I feel like my phone is just as safe in the case I have, and even after buying the little stand (and also after getting a new case when the firstwas not exactly what I wanted) I have still spent under 10, including shipping. and I have color, which was a must for me.

5. dewalist

dewalist Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about color... On my previous phone (Eris) I had a royal blue case that looked great, so I was a bit disappointed this kickstand case only came in black. I am still thinking of buying a can of that Fusion spraypaint that is supposed to adhere to plastic... I will try it on the inside first to see if it sticks and doesn't flake. If it is successful, I'll come back and post the result.

6. saps

saps Well-Known Member

nice find ts

7. SupraLance

SupraLance Well-Known Member

Any update on this? I was having the same thought just before I read your post. Kickstand seems handy, but it's an ugly case.

8. repair7

repair7 Member

9. tschecter

ok, now that video is funny. now this is just imho, but the price? way over inflated. and the brass hardware? not my style, but if you like it... eh...

but the really funny part is where he tried to destroy it at the end... with a hatchet, of all things. heehee..

10. spinnum

spinnum Active Member

Bought one when I got the phone a couple months ago. Very handy, used it to watch movies in bed, fit perfect in recessed dash in my truck for navigation, etc. However it is a bit flimsy and the hinge has broken. Still usable but not for long. I also got the battery charger and spare battery off the Verizon site (Linky) and that has a cradle spot where you can place the phone, works great. So now I use that to watch TV\Movies in bed and as an alarm clock dock. Now on the lookout for a nice case that is easy to remove to get access to battery.

11. J0eybb

J0eybb Member

that dx thing moves everytime he touches the phone. I thought that guy killed himself at 2:16.

12. garrettwconover

garrettwconover New Member

[​IMG] Neophyte
    He all Just purchased Fascinate and I like it. Had to get the extended battery as my usage killed it rather quickly. And when I left it in my car in NY, the cold (25') almost killed a fully charged "slim" battery. I tried looking for a phone cover, like I had with the slim battery, (Really Nice one) BUT I can not find Phone covers that take into consideration the Larger Battery.

Any Help in locating One would be appreciated.

Garrett