• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

a deviation from guns.... poverty!

There's a gas station in town that sells Krispy Kreme donuts. Every night at like 2-3 am they would throw out the day old donuts and get a delivery of new ones. When I worked 3rd shift we sent someone down there (an attractive young lady) to see if she could sweet talk the guys down there into letting us have the day old donuts rather than tossing them all the trash. We were told that regulations did not allow them to give us food that they had deemed as trash. These were donuts that were just a day old and they would rather throw them away.

that guy was sadly mistaken....... those donuts werent trash after sitting for a day........ if they came from Krispy Kreme they were trash the second they left the grease

Upvote 0
There's a gas station in town that sells Krispy Kreme donuts. Every night at like 2-3 am they would throw out the day old donuts and get a delivery of new ones. When I worked 3rd shift we sent someone down there (an attractive young lady) to see if she could sweet talk the guys down there into letting us have the day old donuts rather than tossing them all the trash. We were told that regulations did not allow them to give us food that they had deemed as trash. These were donuts that were just a day old and they would rather throw them away.

They might feel the same way you do. I often use day old bread for this and that. Should I be concerned about health code violations?

Seems to me that those K-Kremers are not trash until they hit the trash bin. They could donate the donuts, I should think.

Regs are what they are, I suppose. Same general rules apply here in Utah as well. You cant donate certain food items due to health concerns.

Upvote 0
A few months ago, our local food pantry notified the news outlets that they had too much food and anyone who wanted free food should stop by and take whatever they needed or wanted.

I think it takes effort to give away food. It must be stored safely and there must be a reliable way to get the food to those that need it. Cafes and eateries toss lots of leftovers, but I am not sure who would want that crap.

Here in Utah, in fact, there is a group that wants leftovers given to the homeless which is foolish because that would represent a health problem.

I say research the laws in your area and if any of you want to help, start by removing the barriers. I am sure many food stores would like to help if possible.

Upvote 0
Disagree. Krispy Kremes are heavenly. Horrible for you in so many different ways, but eating free donuts at work every day is going to improve morale.

The mighty K-Kream is a fairly good donut. Not as good as the old Spudnuts that were once famous here in Utah, but acceptable.

Several donut shops locally offer day old donuts and something they call "Cripples." Those are destined (or were destined) for the dump because they were improperly formed. Those products never see the trash.

Upvote 0
The mighty K-Kream is a fairly good donut. Not as good as the old Spudnuts that were once famous here in Utah, but acceptable.

Several donut shops locally offer day old donuts and something they call "Cripples." Those are destined (or were destined) for the dump because they were improperly formed. Those products never see the trash.

wait...spudnuts and cripples???

um....

Im not gonna touch that one with a ten foot pole

wait..haha
um...
k ...
I'm just going to back away now .....real slow like
:)

Upvote 0
wait...spudnuts and cripples???

um....

Im not gonna touch that one with a ten foot pole

wait..haha
um...
k ...
I'm just going to back away now .....real slow like
:)

What is the problem? Yes, Spudnuts. Created by Bob and Al Pelton and very successful. A Spudnut would kick a K-Kream's butt. I remember them well. The donut was made with potatoes.

Thespudnutshop.com | History

My mother was in advertising and she worked on the Spudnut account. Along with Orange Julius and the first Ski Utah campaign. Not to mention, promotion for "The Happiest Millionaire" starring Fred MacMurry, but I digress.

As for Cripples, they were deformed and mis-shaped donuts sold by a local shop. Nothing odd there. Very un-PC but no harm done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones