A different music player problemSupport

Last Updated:

1. greyhead79

greyhead79 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Just discovered a problem with the music player. I've had my Desire for about a month and generally everything's been fine. But now my music player has decided to start playing up. It takes an age to start, or skip tracks, or try to do anything playlist-related, or indeed do anything, and while it's deciding if it wants to work or not, I can't do anything else with the phone. At the same time my headphones have stopped working properly, only the left earpiece works. Are the two related? I recently downloaded the MixZing music player but deleted it yesterday when pressing a shortcut to a playlist stopped working, thinking that was the problem, but it hasn't made a difference. Anyone else had this problem? It's incredibly annoying!

Advertisement
  2. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

not sure about the h/p, but someone has reported similar--search the forum

otherwise, have u tried restarting fone since u uninstalled mixzing? try it and report back

3. greyhead79

Yeah I've restarted several times! I've got a feeling it might be the SD card that's on it's way out, but I haven't got any idea about the headphones...

4. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

try going to menu/settings/applications/manage applications/media storage/clear data.

it will clear the media database on the phone, dont worry, your files are untouched.
    it will take a while if you have lots of files. The phone will then re create the database.

This may speed up your music player as your problem could be a corrupt media database. If that doesnt work, try removing all your songs from the sd card using your pc/mac and just put a few on again to test the speed of the player.

5. greyhead79

Yeah I tried clearing the data before, that didn't work. And as if to confirm my suspicions, the phone has decided that the SD card is in fact buggered so I can't take anything off it with my PC. Last time that happened I was able to put it in my old phone which, for some reason, could read the card fine... but I've sold that now. Error! Looks like a card reader's on the shopping list. Grrrr.

6. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

any chance the sd has moved in the slot?

7. greyhead79

Nah, I've taken it out and put it back in several times...

8. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

yeh, card reader.. but if I was you I'd buy a microsd with card reader bundle, that way you have a abckup card (class6 or over recommended) and the card reader for fuure use

9. greyhead79

I've already got several :D

10. greyhead79

Well it was definitely the memory card that was causing the music player to hang, I've managed to get everything off it and re-formatted the card and now it's working fine.

Still no headphone solution though, it could just be a faulty set but they were working fine last week and there's no sign of any physical damage like a broken wire or anything. Grrrr.

11. DeftonedEvan

DeftonedEvan Member

When formatting the card, does the phone recreate the folder structure automatically or do you have to create the folders yourself?

12. greyhead79

If you format it with the phone, it sets up the necessary folders on the card.

DeftonedEvan likes this.
  13. DeftonedEvan

DeftonedEvan Member

Thanks very much - didn't know that!

14. DeftonedEvan

DeftonedEvan Member

On the subject of music playing apps - can anyone recommend a good one? Was thinking about using the stock one, but am on the lookout for a good player.

15. greyhead79

MixZing was quite good when I used it, it downloads album art for you and also gives a little biography of each artist. It's free on the Android market, and there's a paid version as well with a few more features. Also the widget only takes up only a quarter of the screen rather than the full screen like the stock player does.

I thought it might be the reason I had the earlier problem but I think we can discount that by now!

16. greyhead79

Well I found out what the problem with the headphones was. They're knackered! That's highly annoying as I've only used them about three times in total!