A few beginner's questions

Last Updated:

1. mosheivgi

mosheivgi New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    I've just received my HTC Desire phone which I have bought from a guy in the UK via eBay. The phone is "Unlocked" and thus my local SIM card works with it, however my question is if I restore the phone's factory settings or upgrade Android version (when it will be possible), will the "Unlocked" status be stopped? Or is an unlocked device just come this way and upgrading or restoring factory settings will not ruin that?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. naths

naths Well-Known Member

any mobile in the UK wether it be android,ios4,symbian,should be ok with upgrades..i think the way we describe phones in the UK is not quite true...as in when we say unlocked we should be saying it came sim-free....operators normally lock phones with their branding on..eg..orange..vodafone...im on vodafone and got it sim free from the CPW on a new contract with vodafone....the phone is as it came from the factory..so any upgrades will be ok and i shoulld imagine yours will be...

mosheivgi likes this.
  3. mosheivgi

mosheivgi New Member This Topic's Starter

My phone is Virgin branded, will it still work with my out-of-virgin SIM card?

4. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

As long as the phone is unlocked (sim free) then you should be able to use any operators SIM card in there regardless of the branding. So if you put in an Orange sim card then it will still have any Virgin branding still on it and proabably still the virgin APN settings for internet etc. but the phone will work and be on Oranges network, it will just need setting up with the Orange settings.