A Few Clearer T-Mobile G2 Images Showcase QWERTY Slider Mechanism

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

Most sliders stick to a pretty tried-and-true format, literally comprised of two halves that slide apart to reveal a QWERTY keyboard. The upcoming T-Mobile G2 accomplishes the same task, though the mechanism in place to divide the handset into its keyboard and screen is slightly different than what we are used to judging by a [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

I dunno, looks fragile to me. Sometimes, tried-and-true is that for a reason, and something that looks neat on paper isn't the best in real life... I'm looking at you, Apple.

3. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea I dont like how it looks either. Looks fragile to me too. It looks like its a greater chance for it to get loose, break quicker than other slide out keyboards.

4. mikeymop

mikeymop Well-Known Member

G2 looks like it's following the obvious ugly looking mechanisms like the G1. Rather then a discrete approach like the Moto Droid.

5. blkidea

blkidea Active Member

I think is looks firm. I read somewhere it was done this way to keep it thin, so if it works then great. I'm more worried about the specs than the mechanism. Rumors have it at 800ghz and 2.1... that's just sad!

6. Droidable

Droidable Well-Known Member

I hope asurion is ready...

7. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

I thought you needed 1 GHz for 2.1? Maybe that's 2.2 I'm thinking of, must be. Either way, that phone will be obsolete before it even comes out with that CPU speced in it. It's probably a little laggy already on 2.1, and won't even be able to update to 2.2. Why do that? "Wow, look at our cool new phone, it's totally awesome! Wait, don't look at the specs! No, look at our clever hinge slider thingy! Neat, huh?"

By the way, when I was at the Verizon store last week looking at phones, I saw the Nokia Twist. THAT'S an odd take on the whole thing!

[​IMG]

If you haven't seen it before (I hadn't), that silver ring is a pivot hinge for swinging out the keyboard. the wierdest part to me that grabbed my eye though was it's a hole right through the handset! Here's another pic that kind of shows the hole a little better:

http://www.geekcellulars.com/wp-content/gallery/286/nokia-phone-twist-7705.jpg

Yes, I meant to put just the link, don't want this post to be any bigger than my rambling wall of words already made it!

8. mikeymop

mikeymop Well-Known Member

Didn't motorola make a phone similiar to that as well?

9. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea they did. lol Almost a carbon copy. Probably is a carbon copy...

10. jree

jree Well-Known Member

They need to find a way to improve the design of the Sidekick style keyboard. This stilit style is not that good looking at all