A few cyanogen things ive noticed

Last Updated:

1. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Running latest and its awesome, but few qs after 12 short hours.

1. Is battery life much different than stock 2.1? Granted I'm clocked at 800

2.cannot change browser home screen from google.com

If I flash to try another rom like buglessb, will I need to wipe in process losing my aps and layout?

If I upgrade or downgrade to a new cyanogen, will I need wipe as well.

Advertisement
  2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Do you need to wipe data going to Bugless Beast?...My opinion is YES! Some will say that you don't need to...but I always format DATA, SYSTEM, CACHE, and BOOT, inside Clockwork (under Partitions menu) before I upgrade to any other ROM...including updates to the same ROM.

You are probably safe just upgrading to a new version of CM but I ALWAYS wipe everything just for good measure...I think it eliminates some of the problems that users have when switching to a different ROM (force closes, lag, etc.).

Get Titanium Backup! I can wipe completely, flash a new ROM, and be completely set up (apps, data, homescreen, etc.) in about 30 minutes!

3. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Oh battery life...I think that is a "non-issue" most of the time. I never experience a single ROM that was a "battery killer" like some claim. Battery life is dependent on running processes, clock speeds, and how much you're on your phone.

4. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

2.cannot change browser home screen from google.com

Sure you can, it's under menu-more-settings-set home page.

I'm using Dolphin Browser and I think a lot of people like it much better than the stock browser (free in the market)

5. raphytaffy

raphytaffy Well-Known Member

I just noticed that the stock Browser on Cyanogen's ROM doesn't have pinch-to-zoom. Is this how it's supposed to be?

6. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Sure it does...remember, you can't pinch zoom on the google home page/search results, and some forums (cyanogenmod) default to a mobile version of their site and also don't enable pinch zoom...

But pinch zoom is there and works fine.

7. phobic

phobic Well-Known Member

You should have pinch to zoom. Sounds like you may need to do a data wipe and start over maybe. *shrug*

8. Redflea

1. Not that I've noticed...never seen a rom that significantly affected my battery life, one way or the other.

2. Someone already answered this...yes, you can (to paraphrase) ;)

3. If you change ROM provider, I would recommend wiping data/cache at least (you could also wipe system)

4. I would not generally wipe for upgrading cyanogen version to cyanogen version...but if any weirdness started happening, I'd wipe and install again.

9. raphytaffy

Forgot about that. Good help buddy!

EDIT

Anyone else having problems getting MMS? I can't seem to receive any of my messages :(

10. Redflea

I've gotten MMS on cyanogen, but only one pic...I had read something at some point that said that MMS w/multiple images might not work yet. There may be something on this in the Cyanogenmod Droid ROM forum - there's a known issues thread, I believe...

11. Campah

Campah Well-Known Member

I gotta say that the best thing I did recently was wipe my phone and install Cyanogen. I was running the sholes mod or droidmod whatever it's called now. My phone was getting slower and slower, battery would last about 12 hours total, and I'd get dozens of force closes a day. I had definitely gone app crazy and had way to much crap on my phone that I didn't even use.

After the wipe and load of Cyanogen, even overclocked, I can get about 48 hours without a charge on my phone. It's snappier, cooler (temperature-wise), and I rarely see a force close. And I'm being very careful about only installing apps that I need.

12. Jeffruby

Few more questions. May be cyanogen or me!
    1. For life of me cannot figure out where to put in my verizon vm password so I can dial vm, and password entered automatically.

2. Cant get phone to Stop pulse vibrate when phone connects and hangs up, I find it annoying

13. Jeffruby

Few more questions. May be cyanogen or me!
    1. For life of me cannot figure out where to put in my verizon vm password so I can dial vm, and password entered automatically.

2. Cant get phone to Stop pulse vibrate when phone connects and hangs up, I find it annoying

14. Redflea

In Android those settings are "hidden" under Call Settings... ;)

1. Call Settings>Voicemail Settings> *86 (the VZW VM number) is likely prefilled for you. You then tap the "*#(" key and enter in a couple of pauses (puts in a comma each time, I think I used to use three pauses) and then your password. Same as it was under the standard Moto Droid build, IRRC. You have to use the Android keyboard to see the *#( key...but you can do the same by just typing in commas w/a regular keyboard.

2. Call Settings again - vibrate on hang-up, answer, etc., settings are there.

15. Jeffruby

Thanks, yeah could not find it!

16. raphytaffy

Never even knew this was possible, but could you please clarify? These instructions are kind of confusing.

17. Redflea

Press Menu key when on home screen.

Go to: Settings>Call Settings>Voicemail Settings>

You should see *86 pre-filled as the VZW VM number in the dialog that appears when you select Voicemail Settings.

You can then tap the "*#(" key on the Android keyboard and an alternate set of keys appears...enter in a couple of pauses (to give the system time to dial the *86 and answer) and then type in your voicemail password.

That help?

18. raphytaffy

Still kind of lost me on that part, but I was able to figure it out. 3 commas (pauses) worked well for me too. My voicemail number now reads *86,,,nnnn (nnnn = voicemail pin). Thanks!

19. Redflea

You're welcome...but now we all know your VM PIN is nnnn!

Bwah-hah-hah-hah...oh wait, ahhh...never mind. ;)

20. raphytaffy

Oh noes!