A few MOMENT surprises

Last Updated:

1. PhilG

PhilG Member This Topic's Starter

Traded my Hero for the Moment solely for the keyboard. A few things I learned quickly about the Moment that I wasn't aware of:

1) No LED for visual notifications. I miss that.
    2) Not compatible with the Mac. You plug in the USB and it charges the phone...no mounting. Confirmed this with Sprint.
    3) While the phone is very quick, there is a definite lag with typing on the hardware keyboard. I'm not a fast typist but it lagged by a letter almost always. If you look at the keyboard rather than what you are typing you are OK. I could adapt to this.
    4) I thought the jiggle in the Pre was a bad until I met the Moment. The keyboard mechanism just seems too loose.
    5) The joystick thing works great. I adapted immediately to it and really like it.
    6) Screen is awesome.

I'd keep the phone if it weren't for the Mac incompatibility. That's a killer for me. Looks like I'm going back to the Hero and will deal with the soft keyboard. I thought about the Touch Pro2 but just can't go back To Windows Mobile.

Advertisement
  2. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

My thoughts in regard to your concerns:

1. There might be a LED, and it just doesn't operate (yet). There's 3 things at the top of the phone, one is a light sensor, one is a proximity sensor, third might be a LED. No one's sure.

2. It hooks up to a Mac, you just have to fiddle with it. I've heard of other people making it work, check out other threads here or the sprint community forums: Sprint samsung moment community

3. The lag appears to be an issue with android, not the phone. People running sms apps report the lag goes away when they use 3rd party text programs. The lag doesn't seem like a big deal to me though, because it doesn't miss anything you input, it just delays putting it on the screen... by less than a second.

4. I don't know what you mean by jiggle. I can grab my Moment by the face and shake it, and it doesn't open or wiggle. This thing is pretty solid. I think you're just a little picky.

3. PhilG

I can live with the lag and the wobble. Perhaps I have a looser phone as it is almost difficult to hold i without the keyboard trying to pop out. I am picky but not sure that this would be considered too picky.

I didn't see anything in the Sprint forums about the Mac problem. I spoke to two Sprint tech folks and both confirmed that the Hero is compatible with Mac while the Moment isn't. I'll keep digging for answers but being a Mac person I feel that either the phone should work out of the box with Mac or it should be notated somewhere. All of my past phones have had a Mac solution either out of the box or third party.

4. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

You may want to cionsider getting a new one if the slider wants to pop out simply by handling the phone. Sounds like it was not assembled correctly. My sister's is not anything like that. Very snappy and crisp. I hope when Mine arrives that it is the same.

5. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. Traded in the Hero for the Moment. Admittedly the Hero is MUCH sexier -- feels better in your hand, smaller, prettier. But the on-screen keyboard is a disaster. The prediction typing is good (wish the Moment had it) but I just could not be productive on the Hero.

Having said that, I have had no lag on the keyboard with the Moment and no issue with the slider wanting to pop out. My wife and kid have Moments, so we are now a three Moment family with none of what you are experiencing. Sounds like a bad build to me -- I'm sure you can swap for a new one.

6. PhilG

I'll try another unit at the Sprint store as mine must be unusually loose. But the Mac issue is really the key for me. Guess I'll have to adapt to the Hero keyboard.

7. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

Phil,

Try checking the USB Debugging option in the settings > applications > development menu, and see if that lets you connect to a mac.

Also, this thread is where I saw someone say they got it to work with their mac:

Sprint Community : USB connectivity - Samsung Moment

8. satinkzo

satinkzo Well-Known Member

1) No LED for visual notifications. I miss that.
    Like others said... No not yet, but I think there is potential, either the stuff near the top or even the touch sensitive buttons on the bottom
    2) Not compatible with the Mac. You plug in the USB and it charges the phone...no mounting. Confirmed this with Sprint.
    Don't have a Mac, but if the link above doesn't help, that sucks
    3) While the phone is very quick, there is a definite lag with typing on the hardware keyboard. I'm not a fast typist but it lagged by a letter almost always. If you look at the keyboard rather than what you are typing you are OK. I could adapt to this.
    No lag for me, but I am using Handcent for sms, I just like it better. Other stuff on the web it responds just fine.
    4) I thought the jiggle in the Pre was a bad until I met the Moment. The keyboard mechanism just seems too loose.
    Mine is pretty solid. My wife has a Pre and her slide is good too, but I do notice the jiggle. My moment has nothing like that.
    5) The joystick thing works great. I adapted immediately to it and really like it.
    What is the joystick? the little touchpad? If so, I don't like it personally
    6) Screen is awesome.
    yes, I agree

9. incy1020

incy1020 Active Member

Hi:
    I don't have a Moment (as a mattar of fact I don't even use Android, I have HTC TP2 which is Windows Mobile), but I was browsing the forum because my very un-tech savvy friend just got a Moment, so I figured I'd see if there were any tips I could give him.

Anyway, I registered just so I could post this answer in regards to connecting to your Mac.

http://www.brainhandles.com/techno-...s/samsung-moment-and-macbook-pro-snow-leopard

This guy seems tpo have found a solution. Anyway, hope it helps :)

10. petrafan007

petrafan007 Well-Known Member

I notice the jiggle myself...I may have to get mine replaced. Most people tend to say it's pretty solid but when i grab the face...opened or closed...it seems to go back and forth slightly diagonally.

11. droid51378

droid51378 Well-Known Member

My Moment is compatible with my Macbook Pro. I have put movies, music & pics on it using Double Twist.

12. droid51378

Also, I am running Leopard, not Snow Leopard. I am not sure which OS your running, but I am not having any trouble with mounting or data transfer. Sorry for the double post, but after google searching, I was reading about compatibility issues with snow.

13. PhilG

I went to Best Buy and there happened to be a knowledgeable Sprint Rep there. He was unaware of a Mac problem and spoke to Samsung. They are aware...didn't mention if it is a Mac or Snow Leopard problem. He suggested going back to the Hero, which I did.

He felt the jiggle and believed it to be excessive and was willing to give me another Moment but suggested that if the Mac connection was vital it could be iffy.

Back to the Hero...and happy. I'll beat the keyboard if it is the last thing I do!

Appreciate all the great input.

14. droid51378

Happy is the most important thing. I had tons of trouble with my Hero, mostly tons of lag, reboots & 5-10 sec delay on camera. I do not need to sync my phone, just the ability to transfer movies, music & pics. I mount my Moment to my Macbook Pro, it opens iphoto and imports my pics, it opens Dbltwist and I have access to all of my itunes music & movies.

To each their own. Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled...

15. PhilG

Sounds like it might just be a Snow Leopard problem. The Hero and Snow Leopard seem to get along quite well. I didn't experience the Hero lag with my first Hero...just the frustrating keyboard. I will adapt.

16. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

I fixed your post for you. You're welcome!:D

J/K

17. rldev

rldev Well-Known Member

Did you pay a restocking fee for swapping it out?

18. PhilG

Nope...just an even swap.

19. jebrank

jebrank Well-Known Member

Just a quick thought, Did you turn on debugging? This is what I had to do. works Fine for file transfers.

20. PhilG

Nope, I didn't try that. I swapped the phone for a Hero so too late to try it now.

21. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

Quitter! :p

22. dkjones96

dkjones96 Well-Known Member

Just to chime in about the jiggle. You need SOME slack in the slider mechanism for it to behave smoothly. If they made it too tight you would have the slider bind when you tried to open it from one side or the other instead of the middle, which people would complain about. The Pre should be able to get away with a tighter tolerance because the keyboard is narrow, the device opens vertically, and there is much more phone grabbing the screen when open. The Moment opens sideways and has MUCH less phone to grab between the KB and the screen.

Considering the design, I'd say they did a good job on it. Obviously, we will see how it works after 2 years, but so far I'd call it solid.

23. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree. It has to contain some slack. If you phones want to open on its own though just picking it up something is definitely wrong. I think it feels solid and we will just have to wait and see how it continues over time!

24. Ouija

Ouija Member

weird it only works on mac for me - my xp machine doesn't recognize it

25. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

Turn off USB Debugging to make it work on a PC
    Turn on USB Debugging to make it work on a Mac