a few noob questions about the desire

Last Updated:

1. bluntstick

bluntstick New Member This Topic's Starter

hi there all. very new to the forums, as you can tell by my post count.

before i begin, i just wanted to say i know from posting on other forums that sometimes a million noobs asking the same questions can be a major pain in the arse... so if there's already a thread out that answers my question, if someone could just link me to it, you'll hear no more of my idiocy.

basically, i'm in the market to upgrade from my htc magic. the spread at the moment is looking like either the iphone4 (i've always been a vocal critic of iphones, but i've heard somethings about the desire that make it unappealing, which i hope will be dispelled here), the new samsung galaxy s, and the htc desire. (please note all questions will relate to the desire) the ihpone's down point is that it's an iphone. the galaxy's down point is that there's no flash on the camera, something that, after the magic, i would really like. the desire seems to tick all of the boxes.

basically, my magic, while a huge upgrade from my ollllllld crapberry, hasn't impressed me all that much. i've had numerous issues with it, but i'm assuming that most of these will be fixed with the far newer version of android on the desire.

basically, every now and then, even after repairs, the phone will just freeze and restart itself. i'm a but iffy about getting another htc out of fear this might be a problem across the board. (i know that sounds stupid, but i'm buying this phone outright, not going on a plan of any sort, so i want to make sure my money will be spent well). i'm guessing this isn't the case, but any horror stories?

secondly, and again, this may very well be absurdly stupid, but how does multi tasking go on the desire (if at all, or is it something that will only come with 2.2?).

...i guess that's about it. again, i apologise in advance if these questions have already been answered or are just plain stupid. i'm a bit new to the whole smart phone game.

cheers in advance =)

Advertisement
  2. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

My Desire has been rock solid, runs fast, works great, and is well made. I'm very happy with the phone and I'm coming from an iPhone.
    The only real problem I've read about is battery life. But for most the battery life is just fine. I compare it my iPhone 3G, and the Desire is doing more with a much faster processor, so again I'm quite happy.
    The Desire uses Android v2.1 (or the newer Froyo v2.2) and it multitasks very well. It's better at multitasking than the iPhone too with excellent memory management and no hiccups when talking on the phone and doing other tasks at the same time. This is how the iPhone should work, but doesn't.
    :D

3. chris 290

chris 290 Well-Known Member

Hi, desire is a great phone but I would hold out now for desire hd for one reason only. I internal memory will be better. If you can stomach a slightly bigger screen that's what I would get.

I would love to have svox voice on my desire but that takes up 32mb internal memory and that's all I have left after froyo and all my other apps.

You won't be disappointed with desire though as its a great phone.

4. yenrod

yenrod Well-Known Member

>bluntstick

I reckon you've be better checking out the Desire HD !!!

5. bluntstick

bluntstick New Member This Topic's Starter

i've heard the desire hd is brilliance except for the fact that htc didn't upgrade the battery.

confirm/deny?

6. widehead

widehead Well-Known Member

7. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

8. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

It's worth noting they report a 20% increase in battery life due to the new low-power Snapdragon processor.

9. widehead

Well, it should be accurate coming from HTC.

10. widehead

Seems a shame to (apparently) hamstring the saving with a lower power battery though, right?

11. matttye

They probably had space issues!

12. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

They are going to have bigger issues when people start bringing the units back!! ;)

13. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

The HD will more than likely kick the arse of the original Desire, SLCD screen so better battery, new processor so better battery...Anyway, anything around 24hrs usage is normal with smart phones these days

14. yenrod

yenrod Well-Known Member

SO its like moving the goal posts YET still playing the football game on the same pitch - bizarre: lol

15. yenrod

yenrod Well-Known Member

We'll see....

16. matttye

All we have to go on so far is that HTC promise 20% better life on the Desire HD. Seeing as nobody has one yet there's no reason to assume people will start taking units back!

17. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Don't quote me out of context please.

18. matttye

" when people start bringing the units back!! ;)"

Looks like you think people will be taking units back to me... is there another way to interpret that quote :confused: