A few noob questions. Sorry!!

Last Updated:

1. dynamodrago

dynamodrago Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all

I've just discovered this site and there seems a wealth of info here. I have read the stickies and been back through a few pages of topics, most of the things I was wondering have been answered but there are still a few things im not sure of and I was hoping some1 could help? I should say that I dont actually get my Hero till tuesday so im sorry if any of my questions are really stupid but I'd like to know the important things at the start so I dont end up having to factory reset.

Firstly, I read in the sticky at the top of the page that the 1st thing you must do is check you have the latest ROM, it had helpful steps on how to see which ROM I have on the phone but what im not sure of is how to check what the latest version is and also how to get it installed onto the phone, an 'idiot proof' guide for this would be much appreciated

2)On advice seen in forums I have bought a series 6 SDHC card, I read that in order for it to increase speed I have to do a factory reset before using it. Will I have to do this even though the phone has never been used, and if so then what should I do 1st, install the latest ROM which will reset everything or fit the card?

3) This is probably the most important 1 for me, I have read that as soon as you compose an sms message that is more than 320 characters (2 x sms) it is automatically converted to an MMS. I will have an unlimited sms plan with orange so I really dont want this to happen as I have to pay for MMS. Is there a fix for this? Does this still happen when using chomp and hanscent?

4) Finally, I have read that you can have your phonebook linked with facebook so that it shows photos etc next to their names/numbers. Does this involve manually going through each name and linking it to a facebook profile or is there a faster way of doing it?

Really im sorry if these questions are just plain dumb, I'd just like to know the answers in advance.

Thanks

Mick

Advertisement
  2. mylinuxbox

mylinuxbox Well-Known Member

I can help with some.

To check the latest ROM check the version on the phone and compare to the latest one on the HTC site. Mine came with the latest installed.

Yes you will have to manually go through you contacts and link them to a Facebook contact.

On point number 3, just send shorter mesages if that turns out to be true.

IME a factory reset takes a couple of minutes and to set everything back up is really just a case of entering your google details.

Finally, welcome to the forum and enjoy your phone when it arrives.

3. Chnoch

Chnoch Member

some of the answers from mylinuxbox are not entirely true, especially the one about facebook. when you are in the people app (not on a specific person) and switch on the bottom to the facebook thing (i don't know what they call it in english, updates or something like that), you should see a list of people that should match with facebook friends you have. they of course have to have the same or a similar name in your phone book and on facebook. then you can just link all of them automatically.

for the sms conversion, i am using handcent and there is an option to turn this feature off, so you would send everything as a text message. i haven't found an option to turn this on off in the stock app, although it might be hidden somewhere. if you can't find it, just use handcent, it's a lot more capable than the stock messages app anyway ;)

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Welcome!

If the "Build number" displayed in About phone is 2.73.xxx.xx then you're good. If it's not then, depending on whether you have a carrier-subsidised handset or not, your options will vary. HTC themselves provide updates for generic unlocked handsets as well as Orange and 3 here in the UK. T-Mobile provide their own updates.

Untrue. My advice is to use the shipped card until you've set-up the handset and checked that everything works, then swap the card out for the new one and format it in the handset to ensure compatibility. Read the User Guide that comes on the Hero's memory card for the correct procedure to remove/replace memory cards. You can also d/l the User Guide in advance from here.

I can't confirm or deny this. I tend to take the "short" part of SMS very literally, I'm afraid. :)

The only "dumb" questions are the ones you don't ask but wish you did. ;)

Hope this helped you, Mick.

5. dynamodrago

dynamodrago Member This Topic's Starter

Many thanks for the replies, i bought this phone based on web reviews so I have never even seen an android phone nevermind used 1 so I am a little daunted however im sure after a few weeks of trial and error it will all become clear! The help on the forum is much appreciated, the main thing I was worried about was doing something wrong initially and then having to do a factory reset at a later date to rectify it so thanks again.

Mick