• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A few noob questions.

I come from from Windows Mobile smartphones and i have some questions.
Does android get slow after installing (and uninstalling) apps? Are the factory ROM's good and is it common to change them?(Back in my day the WM standard ones were worthless).

Basically I want to know how to test hundreds of apps just to choose the few I like and have a fast system.

Your first post. Welcome to the forums!

I've owned the Droid X for 2 years now and I have installed and removed literally hundreds of apps. The most I've had in the phone was pushing 140 apps at one time. You can click the link in my subscription to see what's on it right now.

There are some apps that run in the background, using resources that will slow down your system. But not all background apps impact the phone's use. If you run into an issue with the phone, a little troubleshooting (uninstalling suspect apps) will usually fix it. I reboot my phone about every 8 days, I know some here do it every day. That usually keeps slowdowns at bay.

Most factory ROMs work fine for many people. I've tried probably a dozen ROMs on my DX and I seem to always come back to the stock ROM. It is just a matter of personal preference. Just check out the "All things root" section of your phones sub forum to find out what ROMs are available to you.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
I come from from Windows Mobile smartphones and i have some questions.
Does android get slow after installing (and uninstalling) apps? Are the factory ROM's good and is it common to change them?(Back in my day the WM standard ones were worthless).

Basically I want to know how to test hundreds of apps just to choose the few I like and have a fast system.

Welcome.

A few years ago loading a lot of apps would slow down the system a bit but the hardware today is advance enough that it doesn't really happen that much.

The factory ROMs are good but Android has some really talented developers out there. Some of these guys have created ROMs that are much better then the factory stuff. I run Shostock on my SGS2 and its so much better then what the phone came with. It varies with phone models but check out xda to see what's out there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones