• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A few problems with ICS

ecox

Sep 29, 2011
DC
So I've had ICS for a couple days now. Overall, it's ok. It's not the all-singing, all-dancing update I expected, but it's basically adequate. There are a few problems I've encountered with ICS, though.

1. Camera. There is no easy way to delete the most recently-taken picture. You've gotta go into the gallery and hit a few menu options to get to the delete function.

The fix? ICS Camera+ app. It adds a one-touch delete option on the review screen. And also gives an option to silence the shutter.

2. Status bar. The left side notifications are too small and too dark gray. They lack contrast with the black background. Did I mention that they're too small? They have gotten significantly smaller from Gingerbread, and they're now monochrome. They're so small as to be worthless.

The fix? Dunno. I wish I could figure out a way to change the color and size of the notifications on the left side of the status bar. This is my biggest problem with ICS.

3. Lock screen. There used to be a slider on the lock screen that would put the phone in silent mode if you swiped right-to-left. That's gone, replaced with a slider to go directly to the camera.

The fix? Dunno how to implement it, but I'd like an option to silence the phone from the lock screen simply by swiping up.

Does anyone know how to modify the status bar (no root) to permit larger and different colored fonts?

Thanks!

As far as I know the only way to fix these issues is to root the phone and then install custom mods. I've got the same kinda issues as you and I'm stuck with either rooting to get back the functions I want or just dealing with the fact that they removed the features I want.

For example you can still silence the phone from the lock screen. Just turn the pone on so you can see the lock screen and then hold the power button and from there you can switch it to silence, vibrate or areoplane mode. Not quite as nice as it used to be but it's the best you can do without rooting and messing with custom mods.

Upvote 0
So I've had ICS for a couple days now. Overall, it's ok. It's not the all-singing, all-dancing update I expected, but it's basically adequate.
Really? I find it's like a whole new phone. I like most of the changes, but some changes do need some tweaking.
1. Camera. There is no easy way to delete the most recently-taken picture. You've gotta go into the gallery and hit a few menu options to get to the delete function.
No you don't. Just tap on the review image in the lower right corner to open the image, tap the larger image, then tap the Menu button to pop up the options with Delete.

As for the camera shutter, there is no option to disable it, but you can set the phone in Silent mode.
2. Status bar. The left side notifications are too small and too dark gray. They lack contrast with the black background. Did I mention that they're too small? They have gotten significantly smaller from Gingerbread, and they're now monochrome. They're so small as to be worthless.
I find some of the fonts are a bit small too and/or low contrast. Such as the text for times in the messaging app and several other locations where the text is grey on a white or black background. They could done better with that.
3. Lock screen. There used to be a slider on the lock screen that would put the phone in silent mode if you swiped right-to-left. That's gone, replaced with a slider to go directly to the camera.

The fix? Dunno how to implement it, but I'd like an option to silence the phone from the lock screen simply by swiping up.
If the phone starts ringing and you want to silence it, just hit the volume button. If you want to silence the phone for sleep or while in a meeting, press and hold the Power button then select Silent mode.

Upvote 0
As for the camera, I think we're saying the same thing. It's 4 or more discrete actions to do what you oculd do in one with Gingerbread. The ICS Camera+ app adds a garbage can icon to the immediate review screen, so it's a piece of cake to delete the most recently-taken picture. (I know there's no native way to silence the shutter...I was reporting that the app gives you the option to silence it, much like you could do by turning off the volume in Gingerbread.)

Really? I find it's like a whole new phone. I like most of the changes, but some changes do need some tweaking.

No you don't. Just tap on the review image in the lower right corner to open the image, tap the larger image, then tap the Menu button to pop up the options with Delete.

As for the camera shutter, there is no option to disable it, but you can set the phone in Silent mode.

Upvote 0
As for the camera, I think we're saying the same thing. It's 4 or more discrete actions to do what you oculd do in one with Gingerbread.
In GB it's minimum 3 steps - from the camera app after taking a picture you have to tap the image preview, tap the delete icon, tap delete to confirm.

In ICS it's 5 steps - tap the image preview, tap the larger image, tap Menu, tap Delete, tap Delete again to confirm.

So it's 2 more steps. But for me, I rarely delete images immediately unless they're out of focus or something else seriously wrong with the photo. That's about 1 in 50 shots as a wild guess. I shoot a lot more with my Nikon DSLR and assorted lenses when I want better photos, so I may not shoot as much on the phone as some other people.

YMMV.

Upvote 0
In GB it's minimum 3 steps - from the camera app after taking a picture you have to tap the image preview, tap the delete icon, tap delete to confirm.

In ICS it's 5 steps - tap the image preview, tap the larger image, tap Menu, tap Delete, tap Delete again to confirm.

So it's 2 more steps. But for me, I rarely delete images immediately unless they're out of focus or something else seriously wrong with the photo. That's about 1 in 50 shots as a wild guess. I shoot a lot more with my Nikon DSLR and assorted lenses when I want better photos, so I may not shoot as much on the phone as some other people.

YMMV.

Only 3 steps for me in ICS: Tap Preview Image, Tap Image to access Gallery, Hit the Delete Icon. Well, 4 counting "Confirm."

Screenshot_2012-04-13-23-24-06.png

Upvote 0
Which gallery app are you using? The stock app doesn't have that icon on my phone with v4.0.4, just the link icon to the left that lets you send to twitter, facebook, etc.

It's the stock Gallery app, version 1.1.30682. I think the difference is that I typically use my camera in landscape mode. It seems like the Trashcan icon doesn't appear in portrait mode.

Upvote 0
It's the stock Gallery app, version 1.1.30682. I think the difference is that I typically use my camera in landscape mode. It seems like the Trashcan icon doesn't appear in portrait mode.

Makes no difference which way the phone is oriented. Press and hold image icon for a few secs and the delete icon (trash bucket) in tghe top right > press and confirm deletion. :cool:

Upvote 0
Press and hold the image in gallery (phone will briefly vibrate) and the trash icon will appear at the top to the left of the menu button (three tiny squares) - this is in portrait mode.
As I said, not on my phone. I have v4.0.4 build IMM76D. It appears in landscape but disappears as soon as I rotate to portrait. The picture share icon (3 dots) shows, but not the menu or trash can.

Upvote 0
Another problem that just happened after about a week with ICS: My phone spontaneously rebooted itself, and when it came back on, mobile data was turned off. WTF? I'd prefer to go back to Gingerbread. Other than the panoramic camera, ICS adds nothing to my phone, and the negatives far outweigh the positives. Grrr.

Upvote 0

Thanks!

Didn't see anyone address this yet so I'll give you the easy and awesome fix: WidgetLocker

You can have whatever sliders you want and they can do multiple options. You can have GB style sliders, HTC Sense style, ICS, etc and you can change what each action does. For example, mine is left = camera, right = unlock, up = GoSMS Pro.

You can also add whatever widgets you want to your lock screen, I have my agenda and WeatherBug Elite widgets between my slider and clock. You can also have multiple sliders in different locations on the lock screen if you want.

I have been using WidgetLocker for a couple years now, and it has been great and has all the lock screen customization you could need.

Upvote 0
Another problem that just happened after about a week with ICS: My phone spontaneously rebooted itself, and when it came back on, mobile data was turned off.
I haven't experienced that...but there are a few bugs and an update is needed. This is not the final version of ICS.
I'd prefer to go back to Gingerbread. Other than the panoramic camera, ICS adds nothing to my phone, and the negatives far outweigh the positives. Grrr.
I have are a few little niggles about things like the Messages app on the homepage is green where the rest of the theme is blue - that's a huge oversight. Some text in places like Messages, Notifications, Call logs and Contacts are grey and a small font - a poor combination that is not easy on the eyes making it very hard to read in bright lighting. Speaking of texting, the smilies are now very small and green - why not normal sized and blue. Why does my Nexus S not have the trashcan icon in portrait mode when in the Gallery app while others seem to have it. And overall battery life _IS_ a little bit less, not a lot, but about 5-10% worse. I left the phone virutally unused for a day on the weekend and normally it would drop about 15% in one day. Now it drops 20% or more.

But for me, the performance and other changes make the phone better overall.

Upvote 0
So I've had ICS for a couple days now. Overall, it's ok. It's not the all-singing, all-dancing update I expected, but it's basically adequate. There are a few problems I've encountered with ICS, though.

The fix? ICS Camera+ app. It adds a one-touch delete option on the review screen. And also gives an option to silence the shutter.

The fix? Dunno. I wish I could figure out a way to change the color and size of the notifications on the left side of the status bar. This is my biggest problem with ICS.

Does anyone know how to modify the status bar (no root) to permit larger and different colored fonts?

Thanks!

there's an app for that.

there are notification tray apps, and widget locker is very good for lockscreen. also, holding power button as if to turn phone off brings up the silence option.

i love the ics update personally, but, i love it with nova launcher. ics nova launcher plus my other customizations made thius the perfect phone for me. the only thing i wish my phone had that it doesn't have would be a bit more cpu, a good deal extra ram, and an LED notification light. appart from that, this phone with ics and nova launcher is perfect imo.

Upvote 0
Another problem that just happened after about a week with ICS: My phone spontaneously rebooted itself, and when it came back on, mobile data was turned off. WTF? I'd prefer to go back to Gingerbread. Other than the panoramic camera, ICS adds nothing to my phone, and the negatives far outweigh the positives. Grrr.

the recently used apps is awesome. the ease to delete apps as rasily as adding a widget is awesome, the link straight to apps in main menu is awesome, the ability to swipe delete individual notifications is awesome. some of that might be nova launcher functionality. i also love the general look too.

i also have recently decided my phone needs to be locked and the sexy pattern lock is awesome too i find

i use quicpick for gallery and ucam for camera so anything camera related that changed with ics, i don't use. panoramic feature is cool, but i would seldom use it... but.. maybe i'll give ics camera a go. i think. panorama would be cool if the rest is good. i don't much like the stock camera look though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones