A few questions about internet connectionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. tobylee

tobylee New Member This Topic's Starter

Is there any option that makes it so the phone connects automatically when its required? For example, I open up the internet browser or an app that requires a connection and it starts the internet conection without me having to do it manually? And is there a way of it disconnecting automatically when the connection is idle?

Also, on my phone, when I am connected, I only ever see H, E and G but never 3G. I am on o2 in the UK, can anyone tell me why I'm not seeing 3G?

Advertisement
  2. PureLoneWolf

PureLoneWolf Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, data is either on or off..you can control when things sync, either manually or automatic for each application..

You could install the widgets for controlling Mobile Data on/off etc (or access from the power menu when you hold the power button down).

You are seeing 3G

E = Edge
    G = 3G
    H = HDSPA (Otherwise known as 3G+)

Hope that helps

Cheers

3. tobylee

tobylee New Member This Topic's Starter

I thought G was 3G but when I was with my friend who also has the desire, his displays 3G when connected.

It's not a big issue anyway, so thanks

4. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Sure about that? On my Desire, I get "G" for GPRS, "3G" for 3G and "H" for HSDPA.

5. PureLoneWolf

PureLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I could be mistaken about G..I just switched off 3G and got the G icon too...which would suggest GPRS as brykins states.

I have never seen 3G though, maybe it is Frankfurt and H is available wherever 3G normally would be.

Now I am doubting myself lol....

6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

100% correct (E is Edge)

7. williamj1

williamj1 Well-Known Member

I'm on O2 as well and can confirm that...

G = GPRS
    E = Edge
    3G = 3G
    H = HDSPA (3.5g)

O2 have pretty good coverage, and in all major cities and towns they have HSDPA so we rarely see 3G. As HSDPA and 3G run of the same transmitters, wherever you would usually expect 3g, we get HSDPA which is faster. So that's a bonus.

As far as I know, there is no way of doing that with the internet. You can however, leave it on all of the time and then set most apps to update or sync with the internet connection ONLY when you interact with them or unlock the phone etc.

8. JimmiG

JimmiG Active Member

You can make it sort of automatically start and stop the data connection as needed:
    Settings>Wireless and networks>Mobile networks: De-select "Enable always-on mobile connection"

This will stop the data connection after the phone has been idle for a certain period (15 minutes?) and re-enable it when you wake the phone. It drastically improved standby battery lifetime for me. This can cause some problems with apps that sync in the background, but my experience is that the apps will "catch up" once the data connection becomes available so it's not a big deal unless you absolutely need the phone to vibrate and make a racket the instant you receive a new email or the weather has changed or whatever.

You can do the same for the WiFi connection if you press the Menu key at the WiFi Settings page and select Advanced. This is great because I can leave WiFi enabled when my phone is just laying around at home, and still not have an active connection constantly eating away at the battery.