• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A few questions about this phone

u13erfitz

Lurker
Mar 12, 2011
I want to ask a few questions about what this phone can do.

1) Can I use it like a usb flash drive in windows xp without installing drivers on the computer ahead of time.

2) Do 2.1v bluetooth headsets work it and does bluetooth voice dialing work with correct apps

3) Can I use bluetooth stereo apps to use push to talk function on my radio and too stream music from my phone to my stereo.

Any help answering this would be help me greatly.

Reactions: makchen
This phone can definitely be used as a flashdrive without drivers. A far as the bluetooth questions I cannot answer them because I've not used my bluetooth headset with my phone yet.

Was that on windows XP because I can get my transform to work in vista and windows 7 without installing ahead of time but it craps out in XP. Also any info about the bluetooth would be helpful I am very tempted to cancel my sprint and pick up this phone.

Upvote 0
Talking about USB drivers...

On the LG website it says you need to install drivers for your phone to work with a computer.

Installing USB drivers (Click on Drivers & Resources link)

I did not do that step. I went to the resources tab on the Optimus page instead and downloaded LG Virgin Mobile USB Driver Update.

LG Optimus (look under the Resources tab for the download.

There is also a pdf version of the manual available for download on that page. I notice on page 34 of the pdf manual it says you need to download the driver so you can charge the phone with the USB cable. Maybe all this is not even necessary as I haven't heard anyone saying you need to do this but I dowloaded it and installed it anyway.

The LG web site also has a forum. There is an LG moderator that answers people's problems on there.

LG Virgin Mobile forum

Upvote 0
I think you're doing to need drivers, which are linked above, to get the phone working with USB and XP.

Bluetooth 2.1 headsets work with the phone. As long as it's a decent headset, most voice dialing apps will work. I use Google Voice Actions and Vlingo.

I'm not sure which Push-To-Talk app you're speaking of. The one I am aware of is Tikl, which does work with the phone, but if you're asking can you use it while the phone is streaming music via BT to your stereo, that's one I haven't tried yet.

Upvote 0
Clarion U.S.A. | CZ501

mainly I am wondering if it would work with a radio like this for the music streaming and push to talk. Seems like it should work. Any help is greatly appreciated. To be honest the lower monthly fees and bluetooth voice dialing working make this phone spicy.

It should work with that head unit for music playback. What I don't know is whether an app like Tikl would work with that in the background. I can take calls on the phone through BT and it will pause the phone's music playback while I speak, but I don't want to be pressing a push-to-talk button while driving...it defeats the purpose of being hands-free in a car.

Upvote 0
Was that on windows XP because I can get my transform to work in vista and windows 7 without installing ahead of time but it craps out in XP. Also any info about the bluetooth would be helpful I am very tempted to cancel my sprint and pick up this phone.

I hooked it up to a physics lab machine running XP and it was recognised as a USB stick once I enabled mass storage mode via pressing the button on the screen that came up. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones