A few questions before I buy...

Last Updated:

1. george9807

george9807 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, just about to take the plunge and buy a Hero.
    Just wanted to ask a few questions to people in the know so I dont have anything to worry about.

-The contract I am looking at is on orange and has a 500mb data cap, is this a good amount for general browsing of facebook etc and a few youtube videos?

-I have wi-fi at home and obviously when i am at home I want to use that rather than the 3G internet. Does the phone automatically detect wi-fi and use that rather than 3G or do i have to do it manually?

-I have heard that a Class 6 microSD card speeds up the phone, so do I just put the card in and it will speed up or do I have to do something special (i have heard "rooting" being mentioned a few times)?

Finally, out of interest, is the Orange branding on the front of the phone or on the back?

Sorry for all these questions :p

Advertisement
  2. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Well-Known Member

I only have 500mb per month but that's actually way more than I need. However, everyone's different so it's really hard to say. I end up using around 1gb but almost all of it is on WiFi. I'm guessing you'd probably be fine as long as you use WiFi at home.

The phone will automatically connect to any WiFi network that it has been connected to before. You probably shouldn't leave WiFi on though because it uses a fair bit of battery. There is a widget for turning WiFi on/off that makes it much easier.

I believe that the hero will be faster with a class 6 card root or not.

3. george9807

Ok thanks,

Is there an app that tells you how much data has been used (not including wi-fi)?
    Hopefully that update will come out soon which makes the phone a bit speedier.

4. nafe

nafe Well-Known Member

I expect you can find out from the Orange account website - though don't quote me on that :).

5. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Nafe's right. "My Account" on the Orange web site has a facility that will show your usage in the current billing period. The Orange handsets also ship with preconfigured OrangeWorld bookmarks, one of which links to "My Account". These only work over Orange's network though.

There are several apps in the Market that do the job too. I use Net Counter which displays both cell and wi-fi usage seperately.

/Al

6. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Orange branding is on the back.

7. george9807

Thanks for the answers.

Im glad the branding is on the back as t mobiles is on the front and it looks bad.

I will be getting a Class 6 card, i suppose you have to root the phone to run widgets and apps of it?
    Is rooting the kind of thing that voids the warranty or damages the phone etc?