A few questions for a newbie, answer any you can

Last Updated:

1. kthedude

kthedude New Member

I just recently got a Kindle Fire HD, and I was surprised at how restricted it was, so I rooted it. I've now successfully installed the google play store (the main reason I rooted it) and I have a few questions regarding google play and rooting. Please answer any or all questions that you can, even if the question has been answered by someone already.

1. There are some applications in the google play store that are "incompatible" with my device, even though the app is in the amazon app store and works fine when installed through amazon. Is there a way to install these "incompatible" apps anyway? I've tried changing the "ro.product.brand=" and the "ro.product.name=" fields in my build.prop, but this hasn't worked for me. Am I missing some other properties that I should change? Is there something else I can do?

2. I installed DroidWall to my Kindle Fire HD to help prevent the kindle from updating itself and undoing the root. What is the app that actually performs the update to the OS? I want to know it's name so that I can be sure that it doesn't have internet access.

When I first started making this post, I thought I had more questions... but if I did, I can't think of them right now. If I can remember them, I'll be sure to post them. Hope someone see this that knows some answers!

Advertisement
  2. kthedude

kthedude New Member

After a lot of research (hours actually, though I tend to not be great at sifting though google it seems) I did find that the app that updates the KFHD is called Amazon Device Client Platform (ADCP) so if you want to stop OTA Updates on the KFHD, get droid wall and blacklist that app.
    Simon79 likes this.
  3. alan sh

alan sh Member

How did you get Google Play to work? I rooted my HD, loaded the APK but it starts up and then exits.

Alan
  4. Ih8apple

Ih8apple Active Member

Yeah, Amazon has really pissed me off on this one. I bought the Fire HD, and have kept it, because of the better hardware. The screen is better than the Nexus or the Samsung competitors, and the sound isn't even close.

But being locked into this romper room launcher and pathetic app store makes me want to go swap it anyway. And the CONSTANT barrage of advertising is insulting.

I want to root it, but I am a TOTAL noob in such things, and am a bit afraid to try.
  5. atkinsw

atkinsw New Member

A dumb question for everyone. Can I use my Mac to root my Kindle HD 8.9" or do I need to have a PC? (I have Android File Transfer installed on my Mac and it works beautifully for side-loading apps). Thank you for your attention
  6. smrowe

smrowe New Member

Hi Alan,

Have you been able to resolve this? I am having the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

7. PRallday168

PRallday168 Well-Known Member

8. smrowe

smrowe New Member

Thank you very much. I had followed the "Idiot's Guide to Rooting a Kindle Fire HD", but there was a small typo in the instructions and I guessed wrong, putting the "vending.apk" in the wrong directory. I have corrected this and everything is working well.

FYI - I rooted and installed GP on a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 with firmware (system version) 8.1.4 and Play Store 3.10.10. I hope this is helpful to others.
  9. scorpio1979

scorpio1979 Member

has anyone confirmed that blocking adcp blocks amazon updates?
  10. dannyboy86

dannyboy86 New Member

I've just managed to root my kindle fire. I'm now trying to install playstore however I cant download ES file explorer or equivalent on the kindle as it is not registered (long story). is there a way of getting playstore on there without registering my kindle to amazon??

any help much appreciated.