a few questions from a new hero owner :)

Last Updated:

1. rjjr2531

rjjr2531 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hello everyone. so i got my Hero today from best buy and just have a few questions if you could help...THANKS IN ADVANCE!

1) what do you guys use to clean your screen?

2) whats the best apps for turning wifi on and off? i tried and it seemed to be conflicting with the internal wifi control

3) anyways to turn off or edit that red charging light? or edit any of the alerts for that matter? any app out there can do that?

4), whats the best size to convert the videos? or how do you do it to get a perfect result???

5) lastly, is there a way i can load edited audio files and use them as ringtones and alerts, BUT NOT HAVE THEM SHOW UP IN MUSIC?? like a "media file" or something??

THANKS A MILLION TO ANYONE THAT CAN HELP. im sure ill have more questions the more i play...! :p

Advertisement
  2. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

A few answers from me:

1. I don't use anything much to clean the screen, as it does self-clean to an extent. I just use a soft cloth or at times, the sleeve of my sweatshirts!

2. I only use the default app (toggle switch) that comes with the Hero, not sure why you would want to use anything else. You can find it when you try to add a widget from your home screen (bottom right of the screen).
    + / HTC WIDGET / SETTINGS / WI-FI

3. You can adjust the notifications in various places (a bit confusing really). There are trackball notifications you can adjust in the Settings menu, and in the Message & Mail applications, there are others.

3. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

1) What do I use to clean the screen?
    I just use my shirt or pants, as long as they're clean.

2) Best app for turnning on/off wifi?
    I use the Locale app to automatically toggle my Wifi, but the HTC Wifi widget works easily as well.

3) How to turn off the Charging status light?
    No clue.

4) Whats the best size for videos?
    I'd say probably the resultion of the screen, 480x320. Supposedly the Hero supports mpeg4 (which is h.264), so I'd try that codec since it has the best compression and the least loss.

5) How to load custom ringtones?
    I use the Ringdroid app to edit songs into ringtones. It moves the edited file into the ringtone folder, so it doesnt show up in your music selections.

4. rjjr2531

rjjr2531 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

thanks guys...really appreciate it!!! man this server is slow these days

5. ellisd5

ellisd5 Member

I'm a newbe Hero man myself, your question 5, I was wondering myself how to do....

so to extend your question 5....

5a) Is there a way to remove sound bites (files that I would use as a ringtone, notification) from the list of music.

5b) I dont seem to be able to set the notification to anything other than there default selection of beeps, can I use a custom sound for notifications?

5c) is there a way to set different notification sounds for different notifications? Just so I no what has come in?

TIA,
    Dale