A few questions..please read and help!Support

Last Updated:

1. Itlooksfast

Itlooksfast Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have the OTA Froyo update...now I have a few question so i can decide what to do next.

1. Can still root my phone with my Froyo 2.2?

2. One of the thing that came with Froyo update is Wifi Hotspot which apparently is not free. I know theres a method of getting it for free. But my question is what is the point or the advantage of tethering? Is there a difference between Wifi Hotspot and tethering? no right? If theres a computer near by why dont you just use the internet on the computer instead of using it on your phone? I read theres wireless tether which is pretty like wifi Hotspot.

Sorry for the newbie questions but I just want clearly understand things before I do anything.

Advertisement
  2. gobluejd

gobluejd GOBLUE! VIP Member

3. Itlooksfast

Yes i know...but i didnt wanna post up three different threads in three different locations. I figure since most users come here first. But yea i can do that.

4. gobluejd

gobluejd GOBLUE! VIP Member

Thanks. Sometimes it is necessary, but I do understand your frustration.

5. GiveMeItNow

GiveMeItNow Well-Known Member

To answer your questions, if you had a bone stock 2.1 incredible and did the update then no you cant root. Unless you downgrade with the 2.1 RUU, if thats possible. I think it is. But you will lose all info on phone.
    And 3g hot spot and wireless tether are the same thing. One is a paid service from verizon and one is free for root users.
    The point is when you are away from an internet connection, while traveling for example, you could use your phones mobile network to get an internet connection for a laptop, for example.

6. Itlooksfast

Great thank you! So basically the only real benefit is when theres no internet source anywhere...your phone becomes like a modem for the laptop or any device that uses internet. Ok my follow up question is what if you dont have service reception on your phone..can you use 3g internet service? Im guessing no right? I know a few times I have little service reception and I can barely get on the internet...so if my phone cant get on the internet, how can another device using my connection go on the internet? I sound like a newb right now but im just trying to learn thats all.

7. GiveMeItNow

GiveMeItNow Well-Known Member

Correct, its like a mobile modem!
    Yes, if your phone has no service or signal, Then you cant tether to it.
    Glad to help a newb, been there before.