a few questions regarding wiping and rom

Last Updated:

1. thegame2388

thegame2388 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 28, 2010
    1) so i think i know how to flash a custom ROM, problem is, i dont know how to 'wipe'. and what is a wipe anyway? also, i did the steps on xda on how to root 2.2 so im all set there. i dont know if i got nanlock or whatever that is.

2) i got rom manager and its pretty use to use, except, like i siad, i dont know how to 'wipe'. do i have ot back up everything???

3) what is a kernel and how to install a kernel? for example, i want to install the kernel that lifts the 30fps cap as well as the kernel that lets u overclock to 1.2ghz

help plzzz thx

2. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    1) A wipe deletes certain data from your phone depending on what kind of wipe you do. There is a wipe option in the main menu of recovery. If you successfully completed the 2.2 root guide then you have nand unlocked, in the bootloader screen it should say S-OFF. If you didn't unlock nand, you probably won't be able to flash most ROMs.

2) Yes, you should do a backup before flashing anything. Do a full data wipe before installing a different ROM.

3) A kernel is the lowest level of abstraction implemented in the software. Basically, a bridge between applications and processing done on the hardware level. To install, boot into recovery, wipe cache and dalvik cache, then install from SD card.