• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A few root questions.

dwang040

Dec 17, 2013
So, i am looking at the xperia z3 (since the z5 isn't coming to the US) and lets just say i want to root but i don't want to unlock the bootloader. If i read correctly, once the bootloader is unlocked, the DRM keys are deleted, which means a crappier screen (vibrant color reproduction is lost), no more noise isolation and high quality music, crappier photos, etc... So, these are my questions:

1. Does kingroot unlock your bootloader? Or does it just give you root permissions. How would you unlock the bootloader with a one click root (i have no access to a pc since i can't install proper drivers on my pc).

2. Does xposed module require an unlocked bootloader in order to be installed? \

Thanks guys.

Rooting and bootloader unlocking are two totally separate processes and are only indirectly related.

Rooting in and of itself does not unlock your bootloader, although some device can allow you to unlock our bootloader if you are rooted (see BootUnlocker for example).

Unlocking your bootloader will not root your device, but it can allow you to more easily root your device. For example, having an unlocked bootloader would allow you to flash or softboot a custom recovery and then install root, but that presupposes that you have a custom recovery built for your device, etc.

So, to answer your questions:

1. No. Yes, just root. You must have the "right" (supported) device for that.

2. I don't believe so.

Hope that helps! :)

By the way, I'm answering your questions generally and not specifically for the Z3, so if you'd like, I can move your thread to the Z3 root area for you so the folks in there can give you any specific advice re. that device [let me know :)].

Also, glad you're asking questions and researching--you certainly want to take your time and take baby steps--rooting is not for everyone and you need to be informed about the benefits and pitfalls of doing that:

:)

Reactions: DCUltrapro
Upvote 0
It's interesting, since i rooted my lg d500, and i used kingroot. Now, i'm assuming you don't need an unlocked bootloader to flash a stock rom? Cause i've flashed my phone many times without any main software issues. And yes, if you can move it to the xperia root, that would be pretty helpful.

Ps* there is a method out there, which requires you to downgrade the software, run backup drm keys, run exploit, then re-flash the upgraded software... wow, what a mouthful. Just didn't want to screw something up in that process. Haha. Thanks.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
You can root a bootloader-locked Z3 to retain all Sony's proprietary features, but it requires downgrading to a specific Android 4.4.4 firmware which can only be done via PC and Flashtool.

The procedure I used is detailed here; note that a PC is also required to run the root exploit program and to install the recovery. It's possible that Kingroot would work instead but (a) it's an obnoxious piece of software and (b) you still have the problem of installing the recovery, which is essential.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Hey guys, forgive me if I am wading in here without knowing too much but I am also looking to root my xperia z3, I know this is a slightly old post but rather than posting a new/duplicate thread I thought I'd ask my question here.

I've had my xperia z3 for a few years and have bought a Z5 Premium, so I wanted to root my z3 and see how it goes as it would be my first rooted device. I have tried the Kingo Root app on the phone and on my laptop and both times it seems to fail. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be doing something with the bootloader beforehand to make it easier? I read the first response about Bootloader Unlocking and rooting being separate but I understand that doing the former may make the latter easier.

Since the Xperia Z3 is now a few years old, is there an easy way of doing this?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones