• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Froyo......

HarleyChick

Aug 31, 2010
Ohio
I'm sure more than a few people are going to laugh their butts off, but I have suddenly fallen back in love with my plain, rooted NC running Android 2.1.

I have been running Nookie Froyo off of my sd card for more than a week now, and it was okay. Yeah, I had flash 10.1, so youtube worked a little better. But for some silly reason there were a bunch of apps that I couldn't get on the Market (the weather channel? REALLY?), and it was kinda laggy speed wise. And I've been asking questions and reading a lot about how to put Froyo on the eMMC, and then how to load GApps after that, and my head was about to explode, blah, blah, blah....

On a whim, I popped out my sd card this morning and fired up NC. Wow, I was so surprised! It was faster, all my apps still worked - including weather channel - and I can still play all the games and stuff that I thought I'd need flash for.

I've been trying to find a way to make my NC better, faster (add stronger and I'd have a bionic NC! sorry, digressing.....), when all I really needed to do was pop out my sd card.

Just sayin'......

Reactions: loribug26
Yea, I kept having issues with NF 2.2, I did the market fix and got the apps I needed, ran it OC'ed, and non OC'ed, but it started getting laggy, even on eMMC, and it kept rebooting, and getting stuck on the lockscreen, so I did the process of getting CM7/2.3 on it, and its so much snappier and problem free, so far.

2.3 doesnt have video working, and minor issues, but I can live with that. I'd rather have everything smooth and stable, than tons of features and bloat and instability.

Upvote 0
More commentary: I have been going back and forth in my mind regarding Froyo. I would very much like to have it on my internal memory rather than on the sd card (because I have found that I really miss flash 10.1). But since I apparently I have to somehow mess with the adb (I don't even know what that is) in order to get the market & gmail, etc., I feel that I have to stick with 2.1 at least for now.

Don't get me wrong, the sd card method is super easy, and a great way to get Froyo for the short-term. But (personally) I don't think that it is a good long-term solution. Trust me, once there is a way to get Froyo or beyond onto the internal memory (along with everything else) that doesn't require all the extra fiddling that causes me to break out in a cold sweat, I'll get it.

Just sayin'......:eek:

Upvote 0
Coming from you, sensei, I'm a little surprised but somewhat relieved. At least I know for you that it is preference rather than a general lack of knowledge. I guess there is hope for me yet! :)

Haha...you flatter me so :D

Remember, I'm responding to this via an Archos 70. My NC's are actually used by my kids. What's most important? Stability. I've found that the stock 2.1 ROM is the most stable. If 2.2 was the future, then maybe I'd use workarounds to get it near 100% functional...but 3.0 is the future. When 3.0 is nearly perfected for the NC's then I will switch it up.

Upvote 0
Haha...you flatter me so :D

Remember, I'm responding to this via an Archos 70. My NC's are actually used by my kids. What's most important? Stability. I've found that the stock 2.1 ROM is the most stable. If 2.2 was the future, then maybe I'd use workarounds to get it near 100% functional...but 3.0 is the future. When 3.0 is nearly perfected for the NC's then I will switch it up.

All excellent points. Thank you. :)

Upvote 0
For this newcomer. could you tell me what method you used to root the NC? I would like to have mine rooted, and keep the original BN book ordering/reading capabilities. Thank you.

I'd just root your device, leave the stock firmware on the device...and enjoy.

There is a lot you CAN do...but to get all of the Android functionality, autonooter is all you need. It will root your device but retain the original functionality as well.

Just make sure you use the correct version of autonooter for the OS you currently have. I'd first update to the latest firmware through the B&N website.

This will give you all the info you need. http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...n-nookcolor-updated-2-7-2011-11-11pm-est.html

Upvote 0
I'd just root your device, leave the stock firmware on the device...and enjoy.

There is a lot you CAN do...but to get all of the Android functionality, autonooter is all you need. It will root your device but retain the original functionality as well.

Just make sure you use the correct version of autonooter for the OS you currently have. I'd first update to the latest firmware through the B&N website.

This will give you all the info you need. http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...n-nookcolor-updated-2-7-2011-11-11pm-est.html

Thank you for the reply! I was unsure about simply rooting without doing anything else to the stock ROM. The Autorooter info suggests to me that after rooting, I will not be able to access my B&N account (or at least be unable to register under the same existing account). For instance, the "Pre-requisites" steps indicate that before rooting, I need to complete the B&N registration (which I have), as I will not be able to link to B&N to buy books after rooting.

For the bare-bones rooting, I suppose i should just use the "nooter 2.0.zip" download. Otherwise, the Autonooter method will overwrite my stock firmware? Or am I incorrect here? I am just confused, but I am in no hurry and with help from all of you here, I can make a pretty good and informed decision. Thanks for your informative reply!

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply! I was unsure about simply rooting without doing anything else to the stock ROM. The Autorooter info suggests to me that after rooting, I will not be able to access my B&N account (or at least be unable to register under the same existing account). For instance, the "Pre-requisites" steps indicate that before rooting, I need to complete the B&N registration (which I have), as I will not be able to link to B&N to buy books after rooting.

For the bare-bones rooting, I suppose i should just use the "nooter 2.0.zip" download. Otherwise, the Autonooter method will overwrite my stock firmware? Or am I incorrect here? I am just confused, but I am in no hurry and with help from all of you here, I can make a pretty good and informed decision. Thanks for your informative reply!

Right on...Jumping in without making sure you are doing the right things could make things more difficult.

Autonooter does not overwrite you firmware. It simply gives you root access, adds a few things (apps like softkeys, NookColor tools, Android Market, etc.). You will not really notice a big difference when you first root your device with Autonooter. BUT...once you access the Android Market, install a third party launcher like ADW, Zeam, etc., you will start to get the tablet feel. I would start with one guide, follow all instructions line by line.

If you get hung up...that's okay, but you being able to tell us specifics like which guide you were using, which B&N firmware version you were running, which autonooter version you used, and where you got hung up...will make it MUCH easier to offer assistance. It's not hard (it's really not).

As far as which autonooter to use...If you follow this link below you will see some of the file versions of Autonooter. V0.2 "barebones" only gives you ADB access. I know ADB (well, enough to get by) but I wouldn't and didn't use that version. What you really want to do is upgrade your firmware to 1.1.0 from the B&N website and then use the autonooter for 1.1. This way you have the latest firmware.

NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

Don't assume that a newly purchased NC will not have the 1.0.1 upgrade already installed. Check Settings->Device Info->About Your Nook Color'
for 1.0.0 Download GabrialDestruir's auto nooter 2.12.15 file 15 Dec 2010.
for 1.0.1 Download GabrialDestruir's auto nooter 2.12.25 file 25 Dec 2010.
for 1.1 Download GMPOWER's auto-nooter from this thread.

Reactions: gsutton
Upvote 0
Right on...Jumping in without making sure you are doing the right things could make things more difficult.

Autonooter does not overwrite you firmware. It simply gives you root access, adds a few things (apps like softkeys, NookColor tools, Android Market, etc.). You will not really notice a big difference when you first root your device with Autonooter. BUT...once you access the Android Market, install a third party launcher like ADW, Zeam, etc., you will start to get the tablet feel. I would start with one guide, follow all instructions line by line.

If you get hung up...that's okay, but you being able to tell us specifics like which guide you were using, which B&N firmware version you were running, which autonooter version you used, and where you got hung up...will make it MUCH easier to offer assistance. It's not hard (it's really not).

As far as which autonooter to use...If you follow this link below you will see some of the file versions of Autonooter. V0.2 "barebones" only gives you ADB access. I know ADB (well, enough to get by) but I wouldn't and didn't use that version. What you really want to do is upgrade your firmware to 1.1.0 from the B&N website and then use the autonooter for 1.1. This way you have the latest firmware.

NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

UBRocked, I am so glad I discovered this forum and all of the talent and experience available here. I do appreciate your guidance and I look forward to conversing all of you in the time to come. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
UBRocked, I am so glad I discovered this forum and all of the talent and experience available here. I do appreciate your guidance and I look forward to conversing all of you in the time to come. Thanks again!

This is the best forum! They made my life much easier!
Thanks again to everyone here!

NP! We love hearing that kind of stuff! I too came to this forum looking for some help when I got my Motorola Droid 1 (we all did at some point).

Once you learn, hopefully you'll share your knowledge with someone else that is new to the Android scene...or just new to a different device. So goes the cycle and more and more people are helped. That's why I love this place...it really is full of helpful people! From buying decisions, app recommendations, ROM choices...there are always people ready to offer advice.

Upvote 0

UB and the others on this forum are so helpful; listen to them and they won't steer you wrong. Don't be afraid to ask questions - even if it may make you sound like a Newbie - they won't make you feel like one.

Having just recently rooted using Autonooter 3.0 myself, I can tell you that you will not lose any of your BN functionality after you have rooted. The setup will be a little different, but I can still go into BN and pull up the "store" and preview and purchase books just like always. My library is still intact, etc.

Again, feel free to ask questions - everyone is here to help. :D

Reactions: gsutton
Upvote 0
UB and the others on this forum are so helpful; listen to them and they won't steer you wrong. Don't be afraid to ask questions - even if it may make you sound like a Newbie - they won't make you feel like one.

Having just recently rooted using Autonooter 3.0 myself, I can tell you that you will not lose any of your BN functionality after you have rooted. The setup will be a little different, but I can still go into BN and pull up the "store" and preview and purchase books just like always. My library is still intact, etc.

Again, feel free to ask questions - everyone is here to help. :D

Thank you for the welcome and for the information. It is much appreciated. Sorry for stealing your thread... it just now occurred to me!

Upvote 0
Thank you for the welcome and for the information. It is much appreciated. Sorry for stealing your thread... it just now occurred to me!

<---- Guilty of hijacking threads as well :D

Threads like this serve a purpose only for a limited time usually and so on-topic discussions are a little less important here vs. a "How do I...?" type of thread. If it's a major issue of cluttering up valid information, it'll get moved to a new thread by one of us on Staff here. ;)

Upvote 0

No worries - I'm guilty of "hijacking" too! Not intentionally, but hey, you find the help where you can. That is what everyone is here for. And like UB said, if its a problem, he or one of the other moderators will split the thread. The important thing is for you to get the help that you need. ;)

Upvote 0
More commentary: I have been going back and forth in my mind regarding Froyo. I would very much like to have it on my internal memory rather than on the sd card (because I have found that I really miss flash 10.1). But since I apparently I have to somehow mess with the adb (I don't even know what that is) in order to get the market & gmail, etc., I feel that I have to stick with 2.1 at least for now.

Don't get me wrong, the sd card method is super easy, and a great way to get Froyo for the short-term. But (personally) I don't think that it is a good long-term solution. Trust me, once there is a way to get Froyo or beyond onto the internal memory (along with everything else) that doesn't require all the extra fiddling that causes me to break out in a cold sweat, I'll get it.

You don't need to mess with ADB commands to get gapps on your NC.

There is a separate file that you can run right after you load the main build. The issue has to do with licensing, where Google doesn't like them packaged with non-official releases.

When you go into clockwork recovery, select the option to back up everything (that will keep your original NC 2.1 and programs). Then select install from SD card, and point it to the rom you want to use. Next you install from SD card the separate Gapps file. Then reboot and you are done.

Oh yeah, if you want to keep program settings, use Titanium Backup to make a copy of your programs and data.

Upvote 0
i like stock 2.1 as well although i haven't tried 2.2 or CM7 (2.3).

I miss flash a lot, but i know it will come eventually with honeycomb, which is the end game....and hopefully we'll have the market recognize the NC as a tablet so we can get those apps.

I only wish pinch to zoom and some other things were a little more snappy, which is why i want to try the OC kernal to bump up to 1.1ghz. Plus, I heard the OC kernal is very stable as well.

Upvote 0

I'm surprised to hear of these issues. I installed froyo to emmc 3 days ago, and didn't need to fiddle with anything. Market worked right away.

Upvote 0
Newbie observations:

First of all, don't tell me its "easy" - that goes for anything tech related. You don't know me, and you don't know if I have any experience whatsoever. Yes, I rooted my NC, but it took me 3 days and LOTS of handholding to do it (just ask UB and bg).

Second, referring me to a thread on xda that contains 27+ pages on any topic, NOT HELPFUL! Then again, the jargon and lingo on xda is so thick that almost nothing on there is going to help me. I know, I've tried. After 4 pages, my eyes are rolling back in my head, and I think I'm going to have a seizure. Same goes for Cyanomogen - way to technical. Don't get me wrong, I know that these 2 sites have probably done the most for the root and custom ROM community and they do great work, but I just don't get 90% of what I've tried to read on there.

Next, it's okay for me to get nervous when I go to, oh lets say the xda thread about flashing Froyo to the eMMC and it says "If you are not comfortable with a command line environment, I would stick to running froyo from the sdcard." See, that's a giant red flag, in my face, telling me, "Chick, RUN AWAY!" Its okay.

I perhaps mispoke in my first entry in this thread when I talked about adb (see, I'm a Newb; I clearly don't know what I'm talking about). What I meant, in general, is flashing Froyo or HC or anything to the eMMC is a lot more work, with a lot more steps (and thus, a lot more potential for disaster) than either rooting or using a ROM from an sd card. And someone like me either has to wait for EXTREMELY CLEAR, NON-JARGONY instructions, or we have wade through a lot of extraneous stuff, ask a lot of questions, and hope for the best.

Having said all that, I am going to do it. I'm just waiting for UB to write that "for Dummies" book......

Just sayin'.......

Reactions: loribug26
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones