A-gps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oombongo, Jun 18, 2010.

1. oombongo

oombongo Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I got my HTC Desire yesterday, and my first post in this madhouse :D

Okies, it seems that Goggle Maps are not A-GPS. Either they need wireless or 3G. 3G plan can become expensive if not being too careful.

So the question is: what application has A-GPS facility for HTC Desire? You know have those maps on SD Card and what you need is a GPS connection.

Advertisement

2. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member

There's a few SatNav apps that store the maps on the SD card. Those that sprind to mind are N-Drive and CoPilot.

There's some good reviews here;

Android Sat Nav Apps

3. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Swadlincote, Derbyshire
    My Google Maps works just using the GPS, infact when you use the navigation function it will only do it by using the GPS. A-GPS means that the GPS is assisted by the network towers to improve the accuracy.

4. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    technical illustrator
    UK
    "Assisted GPS, generally abbreviated as A-GPS, is a system which can improve the startup performance of a GPS satellite-based positioning system. It is used extensively with GPS-capable cellular phones as its development was accelerated by the U.S. FCC's 911 mandate making the location of a cell phone available to emergency call dispatchers.[1]"

from wikipedia:
    Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. oombongo

oombongo Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Yes but how do you have Google Maps in your phone? For example, I can browse through local city map when I am on 3G, and can see my position during move via GPS. Now if I switch off 3G then I see only those portions of map which I have already browsed.
    Goggle Maps can't be stored on SD card, right? (Just like TomTom maps come on SD card)

6. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
Tags: