A-gps

Last Updated:

1. oombongo

oombongo Member This Topic's Starter

I got my HTC Desire yesterday, and my first post in this madhouse :D

Okies, it seems that Goggle Maps are not A-GPS. Either they need wireless or 3G. 3G plan can become expensive if not being too careful.

So the question is: what application has A-GPS facility for HTC Desire? You know have those maps on SD Card and what you need is a GPS connection.

Advertisement
  2. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member

There's a few SatNav apps that store the maps on the SD card. Those that sprind to mind are N-Drive and CoPilot.

There's some good reviews here;

Android Sat Nav Apps

3. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

My Google Maps works just using the GPS, infact when you use the navigation function it will only do it by using the GPS. A-GPS means that the GPS is assisted by the network towers to improve the accuracy.

4. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

"Assisted GPS, generally abbreviated as A-GPS, is a system which can improve the startup performance of a GPS satellite-based positioning system. It is used extensively with GPS-capable cellular phones as its development was accelerated by the U.S. FCC's 911 mandate making the location of a cell phone available to emergency call dispatchers.[1]"

from wikipedia:
    Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. oombongo

oombongo Member This Topic's Starter

Yes but how do you have Google Maps in your phone? For example, I can browse through local city map when I am on 3G, and can see my position during move via GPS. Now if I switch off 3G then I see only those portions of map which I have already browsed.
    Goggle Maps can't be stored on SD card, right? (Just like TomTom maps come on SD card)

6. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

oops.