• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A guide on how I debranded my Vodafone Desire to get 2.2 quicker.

have just checked and yes my phone is network locked.
i'm guessing this means its not worth the risk?

From what i've read/understand, any SIMLOCKED phone when the initial flashing is done (Before 2.2) will become locked to all simcards and you need to buy a sim unlock code. (Please anyone correct me if i'm wrong:))

I went ahead and bought an unlock code for my phone anyway JUST incase i needed it.. (However I didnt need it) Bought it from a store on ebay.

Unfortunatly i really don't know how it will affect a Tmobile Branded phone.
And I really dont want to say go for it.. as I really don't know :(
I only have the VF phone experience. I really wish i could help mate. Sorry.

Upvote 0
From what i've read/understand, any SIMLOCKED phone when the initial flashing is done (Before 2.2) will become locked to all simcards and you need to buy a sim unlock code. (Please anyone correct me if i'm wrong:))

I went ahead and bought an unlock code for my phone anyway JUST incase i needed it.. (However I didnt need it) Bought it from a store on ebay.

Unfortunatly i really don't know how it will affect a Tmobile Branded phone.
And I really dont want to say go for it.. as I really don't know :(
I only have the VF phone experience. I really wish i could help mate. Sorry.

no worries atall mate, cheers for your help =]
thought i may aswell ask.
i guess september it is ha

Upvote 0
On a side note.. I had to reset my APN settings for my phone after the update.. might be worth having just incase. (Pay Monthly Peeps)

Stolen from VF website forum
Go to Settings > Wireless and Networks
Click on the Mobile networks drop-down menu.
Click on the Access Point Names drop-down menu.

You'll see two APN's if you have an unbranded Desire - and only one APN if you have an official Vodafone Desire.

First, select the Vodafone MMS APN, press the Menu key, and choose "Delete APN". We don't need it, and the phone never uses it anyway.

Next select the Vodafone Post-pay ISP APN, and edit all of the settings so that they read as follows:

Name: Vodafone UK
APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: wap
Password: wap
Server: <not set>
MMSC: http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy: 212.183.137.12
MMS Port: 8799
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC: 234
MNC: 15
Authentication type: <not set>
APN Type: *

Press Menu > Save
Might be handy for some people.

Upvote 0
When I try the gold card tool I keep getting

adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
------------------------
Could not locate CID in output

whether I do it on mmc0 or mmc1.

Have you enabled USB Debugging mode mate?
Menu>Settings>Applications>Development>Tick Debugging
(sorry if you have, just was my first thought :))

MMC1 I used
I then connected the phone via Charge only, then ran the goldcard tool and then it worked.
Hope that Helps

Upvote 0
Yeah i clicked on that and tried it on charge only. still get the same error message.

Hrm, Did you manage to get the HTC Sync installed, Either the new one i linked earlier or the one from the Phone?

In theory, all the CID is, is the Ident of the Memory card. I've just this second tried it under Charge only and Disk drive mode and it gave me my card's CID, maybe try disk drive mode?

Upvote 0
Hrm, Did you manage to get the HTC Sync installed, Either the new one i linked earlier or the one from the Phone?

In theory, all the CID is, is the Ident of the Memory card. I've just this second tried it under Charge only and Disk drive mode and it gave me my card's CID, maybe try disk drive mode?
I have the latest sync, I have formatted the phone, there is still 3 folders left on it tho.

Lost.dir
Android and footprints.

Upvote 0
Having followed all the instructions and updated perfectly I've now found a problem I can't seem to solve.

Since flashing the new rom and updating I've been getting a lot of gapps force closes, I've had a look around and it seems to be an issue which can be resolved by playing around with the Gmail and Gtalk apps but since the update Gtalk has gone missing from the apps list but I have been unable to install it from other apks.

I really don't want to have to root, flash and wipe everything since I'd rather avoid rooting if I could.

Upvote 0
starting this now

fingers crossed it dont screw up

just a side note if anyone is online
i take i follow the guide upto the point of installing the software and then just use the evil genius's software ???

Yes mate, as the OTA 2.2 has been taken off the air, as it were, the Update.ZIP should in theory give you the OTA offline.

So follow the guide, up to the point of trying the OTA for 2.2, then just use the Update.ZIP from the other guide to hopefully get 2.2

*Am at work atm, so will hopefully be able to pop back on occasionally*

Reactions: malcster
Upvote 0
Hi guys, will this work on my desire? it was bought from a Vodafone store on 02/08, my hboot is 0.83, and my phone has all the 360 junk pre loaded. I've tried multiple times, but my handset doesn't seem to be able to go into recovery mode, it just hangs at the HTC splash logo.

Any ideas guys?

Hello Mate,
I don't think it will, all the other posters with the branding update (Which i guess now they are selling the phones with) cannot debrand until a suitable bootloader hack/crack/ is found.

My phone was only 0.80 bootloader when I tried my update, and I did not download the over the air update, and the original guide worked like a dream, granted the OTA for 2.2 was still available when I did it.

Upvote 0
Hello Mate,
I don't think it will, all the other posters with the branding update (Which i guess now they are selling the phones with) cannot debrand until a suitable bootloader hack/crack/ is found.

My phone was only 0.80 bootloader when I tried my update, and I did not download the over the air update, and the original guide worked like a dream, granted the OTA for 2.2 was still available when I did it.

Cheers mate, thanks for the info. Looks like ill have to wait for a new hack. I have got a new app named 'superuser permissions' on my phone now that I cant seem to remove. Rather annoying!

Upvote 0
its named update.zip asper Manually install the official Froyo build on HTC Desire | Geekword

although it is a winrar file not winzip stupid question but do i need to extract first

i tried first time with just that file on and it hanged like i said
just tried it again with everything back on sd card just incase it needed something else but still got the same message

p.s using windows xp

Upvote 0
just checked it is defo update.zip
should it be extracted or not ???

You don't need to extract the file, just stick it on the root of your SD Goldcard :)

(example) J:/update.zip

then try the recovery again

Hope that helps
Failing that, Try downloading the file again and repeat, it could have been a corrupted download.

Reactions: malcster
Upvote 0
ok tried again
got the same as before but also

installing update ...
assert failed:file_getprop("systembuild.prop"
,"ro.build.fingerprint") == "htc_www/htc_bravo/bravo:2.1-update1/ere27/174215:user/release-keys" II file_getprop("systembuild.prop"
,"ro.build.fingerprint") == "htc_www/htc_bravo/bravo:2.2/frf91/218634:user/release-keys"

E:error in /sdcard/update.zip
(status 7)
installation aborted

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones