A host of minor nigglesSupport

Last Updated:

1. Alpha Covenant

Alpha Covenant New Member This Topic's Starter

Android Version: 1.25.841.5
    Firmware version: 2.1-update1
    Network: Telstra NextG
    Taskiller Used?:Task Manager 2.2.0

I am a recent newcomer to Android, and have recently made the switch to the HTC Desire, on the Telstra network in Australia. I love the phone to bits, especially the level of customisability that the Android OS offers me. However, despite all the awesome, the roses have a few thorns, and I was hoping some people more knowledgeable than myself might be able to help me find solutions.
    I've been accumulating them over time, so there are a few. I have combed through all the settings I could find and have also tried google-ing the problems, and have come up blank. I apologise in advance if these topics have already been covered.

1. Issue with the SMS app:
    The problem I am having is with notifications while the sms app is still running as the main app. I could have the phone on or have put the screen to sleep, but if I did that with the sms app still running, I don't get ANY sms notifications whatsoever. No tone, no vibrate, no flashing LED..... nothing. It doesn't matter if I'm in a conversation for the person who's sending me the sms, or someone else's conversation, if the sms app is running, I get nothing.

2. I really like the feature that lets me link my contacts with my FB contacts, but I wish it wouldn't overwrite the caller ID picture I have chosen to use, replacing it with the FB photo for that person. Can anyone advise at all whether or there is a way to make it use my chosen image for the caller id photo?

3. I am still trying to create/sync calendars from my phone to my PC. I have read somewhere that HTC Sync doesn't like and/or recognise Windows Live Mail as an available calendar program, which is why it won't let me sync. Short of installing something Outlook or Thunderbird, can anyone offer any suggestions?

4. I am having a very minor but somewhat frustrating issue with my weather widget. I am using the widget that combines the old flip-down style clock with the weather forecast on my main screen. The problem is that if I am out and about, my phone seems to have trouble syncing my weather app with the weather. If I then connect it to a wireless network, it syncs in about 1.5 seconds. First thought would be that I am having data related issues, but I don't think so, because I can easily connect to web pages, the Android Market, download music and content, all without the wireless network. I have a friend of mine with exactly the same setup, same phone on same network, and his never ever ever has an issue. His widget updates first time, every time.
    Mine tries for about 15 seconds before it gives up and tells me it couldn't connect. I've tried resetting the options, removing and replacing the widget, clearing caches, updating locations, all without success.

5. Having come from an iPhone before this, I because accustomed to the functionality of Push notifications. The most notable and useful were those for mail and some of my apps. I cannot seem to find anything similar on my Desire and after having scoured every which way, cannot find any settings for it. Contentrating only on mail, I have gone through all my
    settings and still came up blank. Can anyone please advise if there is a way for me to receive notifications of a received mail?
    I have tried setting up my phone to check for messages every hour during peak times, but it just doesn't. Firstly, it doesn't seem to check at all. It could have been 4 hours since the last sync, and if I go into the mail app, it hasn't bothered checking. Even after I've loaded it up, it just sits there, and I have to manually tell it to sync with the server, even though the settings are to check every hour.

Thanking you in advance,
    Attila

Advertisement
  2. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

1. try chomp sms
    2. dont know, sorry.
    3.try agenda widget and maybe just use the google calendar in your gmail.
    4. in settings/accounts/try ticking and unticking the sync weather box, and also make sure your gps is enabled.
    5.try maildroid, it seems to work well for me.